What the @%&* is that noise?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

What the @%&* is that noise?

Post by WarpedPlatter » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:14 am

That sound, my friendly competitors, is four dual-Xeon servers getting burned-in running F@H. So cover your ears and get out of my way, because WarpedPlatter is coming through.

Oh, and there are six more where those came from. I don't know how many I'll end up running at once and how long they can fold before being put into service, but I'm aiming to break 1,000 points at least one day.

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:20 am

Great news. I'll let you pass (I don't have the stats, If I remember well you're well above me but anyway) gladly for the Team's sake :)

Let's catch ABIT USA before the end of the year (that is too much to ask for, isn't it?)

FJC

Post by FJC » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:02 am

mormakil wrote: Let's catch ABIT USA before the end of the year (that is too much to ask for, isn't it?)
Well, I have parts for 2 new folders arriving today...that'll boost me from 9.5GHz folding to a little over 13Ghz. :)

Though I'm not getting any folding done today with the odd can't-get-a-WU problem I'm encountering... :(

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:02 pm

Well, that should wipe mas92264 and myself off your Potential Threats list, and could put you in the top 10 if you can keep them for a little while. You'll even keep Frank at bay for awhile longer.

David

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:04 pm

I'm gonna have to take an idea from one of the guys at Sharky Forums (interesting folk there)... Offer free computer tech support to friends in exchange for running Folding on their computers.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:01 pm

WarpedPlatta', looks like those servers are starting to pay dividends. Your production is taking off like the proverbial rocket. That's going to be fun while it lasts. Metaluna and Wrah are definitely goin' DOWN. You will need to bump your production quit a bit to catch tangled and Cosine, but all three of you will pass Rusty, Dukla, and CharlieChan within the next 30 to 60 days.

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:45 pm

Well, I screwed up when I set these up. I was in a hurry before the long weekend and didn't read the instructions. So, I neglected to put in the -local switch, just the different machine IDs.

It looks like all the units from the second CPUs were sent successfully, but I didn't get credit for them. There's 2000 points out the window, unless I can send them the logs and get credit for them. Does anyone know an email address where I can ask about doing this?

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:40 pm

You could try at the forums http://forum.folding-community.org/

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:43 pm

Man, that BITES.

I have -local on every one of my clients. I haven't experienced a downside to this yet, and can't imagine why I would want it to work any other way. I started doing that when I was playing around with a couple of different clients, didn't know I could put them in the same directory and just run whichever ONE I wanted, and trashed a WU. Loose some points and you think up a way for that not to happen again. For me, it's -local for everyone, whether they need it or not.

Where does it look if -local is NOT specified? Some entry in the registry?

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:14 am

Hey Platter, what happened to your daily production? I know about the NEW machines not scoring any points, but what happened to your existing machines? At today's rate even *I* will overtake you in two months!

David

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:56 am

haysdb wrote:Hey Platter, what happened to your daily production? I know about the NEW machines not scoring any points, but what happened to your existing machines? At today's rate even *I* will overtake you in two months!

David
For reasons too complicated to explain, I had to shut down all of my machines for almost a whole day. I think all the units are getting counted now. Unfortunately, most of the existing dual-Xeon machines will need to be prepared for deployment over the next few days. I'll be building four more in the next week or two, though, and those should be available for folding for a fairly long time.

My production will probably be fairly erratic over the next few months, but should average out to be quite substantial. So, don't get your hopes up too much!

WP