I'm into Top 100 in SPCR team!!!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ColdFlame

I'm into Top 100 in SPCR team!!!

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:14 am

Finally I made it to Top 100 and to celebrate that I assembled another PC for folding (4th). It is a wimpy p3 1.12 GHz but it seems to fold just fine. I think my weekly output with this baby is guaranteed to be over 1000 PPW. Sure this is nothing compared to certain individuals (/me points at David Hays) but it is a small victory for me :oops:

Now, I have to watch that electric bill now... plus I've got no more room for expansion, my KVM switch is maxed out at 4 PCs :)

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:55 am

KVM maxed out? Not a problem. If you're running Windows, toss VNC on the system, then you only need the network connection. Works fine if you're not going to really be working on the system. Good enough for remote management.

I too have been trying to break that 1k PPW barrier. Need to get some family members going.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:17 am

What is VNC?

I can use Remote Desktop but I like to be able to physically switch to the machines.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:31 am

Virtual Network Computer (Computing?)

Basically a poor-mans version of Remote Desktop. A PCAnywhere kind of application. I use it to access my backup server. All it does is receive file backups from my two main systems sometime in the middle of the night. Well, that and run Folding. For when I want to check on something, I'm not doing a lot of processor heavy work on it, being a P3-566, so VNC works great. Opens up a monitor for something else, and don't have to spend money on a KVM and cables.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:01 pm

Coldflame,

I have a 2-port KVM for toggling between my desktop machine and one other. I use it to configure a machine, then I move that machine to it's "home" and use Remote Desktop to "take a look at it" periodically. With Remote Desktop, it's almost (but not quite) like being actually "on" or "in front of" the remote PC. You see the remote PC's desktop and you can do just about anything you would do if you were directly connected via a KVM switch. It's handy for installing new software on my Home Theater PC, for example, so that I don't have to go downstairs and fire up the projector. The primary downside of Remote Desktop is it requires XP Pro, so it adds $50 per "seat". Perhaps VNC would work just as well. I have not tried it.

Anyway, to the original topic, GO COLDFLAME GO!!! :D

David

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:51 pm

Yea I use Remote Desktop all the time but there is a benefit of hardware switching, especially when you are playing a game on your main PC and want to switch to your folding PC to browse web, check stats, etc.

On a side note, I can't imagine how you guys pay for all the XP licenses with so many PCs you have. Maybe you are all Linux gurus (I suck at Linux).

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:08 pm

I just can't imagine using XP on everything...

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:36 pm

As I contemplate adding some dedicated Folding clients, I am also considering which Linux distribution I will use. For multipurpose machines, I can justify the cost of an XP Home or XP Pro license, but when you talk about a bare-bones system for doing ONE THING, the Windows license becomes a huge part of the overall cost. I am timidly moving to embrace Linux.

David