First WU completed under Linux LOST

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

First WU completed under Linux LOST

Post by haysdb » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:33 pm

I am running Beta 4 on the Linux server. I switched over to the server just now and saw this (extraneous lines deleted for brevity):

[02:07:52] Finished Work Unit:
[02:07:52] Leaving Run
[02:07:52] - Writing 1367544 bytes of core data to disk...
[02:07:52] ... Done.
[02:08:03] - Shutting down core
[02:08:03] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT

The first thing that struck me was the time, which is GMT 7:30 as I write this, meaning it had been setting there for over 5 hours.

Since it looked like it was frozen, I typed Ctrl-C, only to be greeted with:

[07:23:53] CoreStatus = 0 (0)
[07:23:53] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x0
[07:23:53] Deleting current work unit & continuing...

I guess I will wonder over to the official forums and see if I can find out what that means.

Bummer.

David

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:54 am

David,

Did you update Redhat 9.0? If so, you needed to update glibc to the one in fedora. If not, use beta 3.25B. I have a dual P3 file server running Redhat 9.0 + xd2 + glibc 2.3.2-57 that folds with 4.00pre1 since 28/11/03 without problems.

Charlie.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 am

CharlieChan wrote:David,

Did you update Redhat 9.0? If so, you needed to update glibc to the one in fedora. If not, use beta 3.25B. I have a dual P3 file server running Redhat 9.0 + xd2 + glibc 2.3.2-57 that folds with 4.00pre1 since 28/11/03 without problems.

Charlie.
Charlie,

You have certainly earned my respect. Once again, you are right on target. I just need to ask you first and I could save myself a lot of time. Ah, but part of the 'fun' is figuring this sh%t out. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I did, in fact end up installing the glibc packages from Fedora. glibc is up to 2.3.2-101. I found quite a bit of commentary on this issue of glibc instability at Folding-community.org in the Linux forum. Vijay Panda (sp) even posted, suggesting that perhaps they should eliminate the native Linux client altogether and recommend the Windows client under WINE. These glibc issues have them pulling their hair out.

rpm gave me a rash of crap about dependencies when I did an 'rpm -i --test' , so I not only had to install a couple of other packages (tzdata and gd) but 'Updated' some of the packages and 'installed' others. As a rule-of-thumb, when should a package be 'Upgraded' and when should a package be 'installed'?

I didn't get much accomplished tonight. I did get the hostname of my server changed from localhost to fahserv. Yee ha.

I don't have tftp-server, dhcp, and dnsmasq installed yet, nor have I removed bind, but just the installing part should be quick.

David

markkuk

Post by markkuk » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:29 am

haysdb wrote: As a rule-of-thumb, when should a package be 'Upgraded' and when should a package be 'installed'?
New kernel packages should be 'installed', everything else should be 'upgraded'. You can use 'rpm -U' even when adding new packages.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:35 am

Charlie,

I have installed, but made no attempt yet to configure, dhcp and tftp.

Am I correct that my order of preference for the "architecture" should be athlon, i686, and then i386?

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:52 am

I 'tested' the removal of bind:

Code: Select all

[root@fahserv root]# rpm -e --test bind
error: Failed dependencies:
        bind is needed by (installed) redhat-config-bind-1.9.0-13
        bind is needed by (installed) caching-nameserver-7.2-7
        bind >= 9.1.3-0.rc2.3 is needed by (installed) caching-nameserver-7.2-7
Should I remove these other packages as well?

Oh nevermind, I just did:

Code: Select all

[root@fahserv root]# rpm -ev bind redhat-config-bind-1.9.0-13 caching-nameserver-7.2-7
warning: /etc/rndc.key saved as /etc/rndc.key.rpmsave
Any idea what this warning message means, or whether I should be concerned about it?

David

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:13 am

David,

Don't worry about the warnings from bind. Now you have upgraded, you may as well make life easier for yourself. Go this site, www.freshrpms.net and download apt for Redhat 9.0. Install apt...rpm and then run,

apt-get update
apt-get install tftp-server
apt-get install dhcp

You will need to download, compile and install dnsmasq. Althought a rpm package is avaliable you should compile it to sure all is well. If you download the dnsmasq...src.rpm you can build the binary rpm with,

rpm -ivh dns...src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
rpmbuild -bb dnsmasq...spec
cd ../RPMS/noarch - I think or it could be ../RPMS/i386
rpm -ivh dnsmasq...rpm

Apt is debian's package installer and solves all the dependencies for your. The reason I did not mention it earlier is it will install the latest glibc library the minute you try to install a package.

Charlie.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:25 pm

markkuk wrote:
haysdb wrote: As a rule-of-thumb, when should a package be 'Upgraded' and when should a package be 'installed'?
New kernel packages should be 'installed', everything else should be 'upgraded'. You can use 'rpm -U' even when adding new packages.
This was brought home when I installed apt (Advanced Package Tool) and did 'apt-get update', it listed 7 packages that I had more than one version of, and it said it would not be able to do a clean upgrade of these packages. For each one I did 'rpm -e --test' to verify that nothing else was dependent on that particular package, and then deleted the old packages. apt is happy now except for one package, the older version of which is required by a couple of packages, according to rpm.

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:37 pm

CharlieChan wrote:Now you have upgraded, you may as well make life easier for yourself. Go this site, www.freshrpms.net and download apt for Redhat 9.0.
Another excellent recommendation Charlie. Even their web site is easy to understand, and the tool is sweet. A GUI front-end called synapse (?) makes it a snap to use.

Several places refer to it as "still being developed" and 'man apt' offers just a shell of a 'man' page, but it feels pretty stable so far.
You will need to download, compile and install dnsmasq. Althought a rpm package is avaliable you should compile it to asure all is well. If you download the dnsmasq...src.rpm you can build the binary rpm with,

rpm -ivh dns...src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
rpmbuild -bb dnsmasq...spec
cd ../RPMS/noarch - I think or it could be ../RPMS/i386
rpm -ivh dnsmasq...rpm
I will do this tonight. I installed the Athlon binary rpm (unless I am confusing it with ltsp), but compiling from the source seems like a better idea. So I download the 'source' rpm, "install" the source with rpm, use rpmbuild to build (compile?) a binary rpm, which I then install?

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:17 pm

Second WU down the toilet on Liinux on Beta2, so I am back to 3.24b. The issue with the Linux beta's was supposedly the version of glibc I was using, but I installed the latest one and it still failed, so I have these choices:
  • 3.24B
  • Windows console under WINE
I will pursue this issue in the Folding-community.org Linux forum because I am NOT happy about this situation.

To refresh, the WU "completes", but the WU is never uploaded to Stanford, and when you stop the Console, the WU is deleted. That's over 100 points lost.

David
Last edited by haysdb on Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:40 pm

I seem to remember folks at Folding-Community forums saying they can get slightly better performance running the Windows console folder under WINE than using the Linux folder.

Would it be considered ironic that it takes a Windows emulator and software to make Linux stable? :p

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:31 am

There was even a post from Vijay Pande suggesting that:
While this is certainly not ideal, if Wine is working better than the Native Lin client due to glibc issues, I'm wondering if we should simply push for Wine usage of the Win client?
This was from back in April, but it does not appear the situation has improved.

David

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:00 am

David,

Which version of glibc and folding client where you using when the first WU failed? Also which version where you using when the second WU failed?

Charlie.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:57 am

CharlieChan wrote:Which version of glibc and folding client where you using when the first WU failed?
FAH4.00-Linux-Pre2.exe
glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7
Also which version where you using when the second WU failed?
FAH4.00-Linux-Pre2.exe
glibc-2.3.2-101

david

NeilBlanchard

FAH4?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:15 am

Hello:

I just reinstalled SuSE 8.2 Pro, and I got the ^@%#$ NIC to be recognized, so I'm running Linux when I can. I installed the FAH3 Console Linux-B.exe and it has been fine -- 7 or 8 WU's so far. This thread got me thinking though -- I did run the Windows console under Wine earlier and it did seem to be faster -- and it was easier to start since you just have to double-click on it. The Linux client makes you open a console and type "./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe -forceasm -advmethods"
precisely each and every time you start Linux... :roll:

ironic...

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:29 am

haysdb wrote:FAH4.00-Linux-Pre2.exe
glibc-2.3.2-101
I have not tried FAH4.00-Linux-Pre2 but I am running FAH4.00-Linux-Pre1 on Redhat 9.0 with a earlier glibc without problems. I also use the -forceasm -advmethods switches. You could try FAH4.00-Linux-Pre1 as I notice other people are have problems with Pre2. You can also use WINE, I used it on redhat 9.0 until the glibc issue was sorted out with the release of FAH4.00-Linux-Pre1.

Charlie.

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Re: FAH4?

Post by CharlieChan » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:33 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The Linux client makes you open a console and type "./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe -forceasm -advmethods"
precisely each and every time you start Linux... :roll:

ironic...
Do a search for 'finstall' on the folding forum. It will install the folding client as a daemon and run without logging in.

Charlie.