Every little bit...

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Every little bit...

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:07 pm

Got my Pentium Pro dually going again. Still not sure why it wasn't booting the other day, but its up and going now. Tossed Win2K on. Then Folding. Was mostly just curious to set up Folding Console on a dually. Got it set up with -local and different machine IDs. Next was FAHStats.

I think I'll leave it going overnight, see if it even stands a chance of completing a WU before its deadline. If not, then I'll see how it does on Genome projects. Well, need to also either get a quieter hard disk for it, or get this one to sleep most the time. Might swap to Linux for that.

Damn this addiction.

Though I did explain it to a non-computer-savvy roommate, and he was in general awe at the idea of using distributed computing. And he thought it was too cool that this was all for cancer research (and other diseases).

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:24 pm

Does he have a PC? 8)

Yesterday my wife mentioned the electric bill jumping about 30% in the past month or so. Soon, though, both of my kids will have overclocked XP2500s running on my ex-wife's electric bill! :twisted:

I'm planning on upgrading all of my machines here to faster CPUs as dollars permit, so that I get the most points out of that electric bill.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:38 pm

No, he doesn't. But another roommate does. Haven't talked to him yet about Folding, but soon... soon.

Trick is, I want his points, and he's likely to want to do his own thing. Its all good for Folding, but I'm greedy.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:12 am

Well, the P-Pro dually is a bust, as I expected. Interesting though. Each processor has a frame time of 5.5 hours, giving it 22 days to finish a protein with an 18 day deadline. :(

Now, if I could split one WU across both processors, then it would have a chance, but nah... Time to swap it over to Genome work.

Well, after I get a quieter hard disk in it. Thought I could deal with it for one night. I was wrong... feel like I hardly slept last night.