Genome@Home - for the slower systems?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Genome@Home - for the slower systems?

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:58 pm

If I can get the quiet parts to get the Pentium Pro dually going, it will be working on the GAH project instead of FAH. Nice bit is that a FAH team (and user) gets points for GAH units completed. Its not as 'efficient' for points as FAH, coming in slightly less than a Tinker core, but its something.

Since I don't have the PPro silenced yet, I'm going to play around a bit with my main system (which, curiously, isn't my fastest folder; durn lack of SSE code). I've got it set right now for GAH preference. It should be finishing up the current FAH unit in the morning, so tomorrow it will start cranking on GAH goodness.

From what I've read at the Folding-Community forums, GAH points are credited to protein 799 (iirc). Those of us who have ancient, er... legacy systems that can't effectively run FAH might want to check out GAH if you're feeling bad about having a computer not doing anything.

I'll report back in a day or two with initial results.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:32 pm

[Correct me if I'm wrong] The GAH work units also don't have the tight deadlines that the FAH WU's have. I used a 700MHz P3 notebook for awhile, but some of the first WU's I got were not going to finish before the deadline, so I kept killing them off until I got a small one!

David

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:43 pm

Correct, in a way. GAH does not have deadlines at all. Every work unit finished adds to the project. Where the work units in FAH are changed and updated based on previous results, thus different builds of the same protein.

I think I've seen comments of folks running GAH on old Pentium 100s and slower. I'm mostly curious what kind of frame time I'd be looking at, and how the scoring works.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:18 am

First thing learned: you can't have the -advmethods flag if trying to do Genome. That sets what servers you'll get work assignments from, and those are Folding work units. I took that flag off this morning, deleted the current WU (was only 2% into it), and restarted. Downloaded the Genome core and a new protein, worth 24.6pts with no deadline.