4.0 client official released

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FJC

4.0 client official released

Post by FJC » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:01 am

The 4.0 client is out of beta now, and available for general download:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... nload.html

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:44 am

Is there any way I can run this without losing my current WU?

TRC-13
Patron of SPCR

Post by TRC-13 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:58 am

Yes. It converts the queue.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:56 am

I almost did the "lazy jerk" thing and posted asking what the changes are in 4.0. In contrition, I went to the F@H site and looked for myself. Here are some highlights:

- Configurable minimum checkpointing frequency (3-30 minutes). (In GUI, controlled with a slider.)*

- If client run with verbosity of at least 5, FahCore_78 will print out a message whenever a timered checkpoint occurs.*

- -configonly flag added to configure then exit.

- -oneunit flag added to exit after completing one unit.

- -forceSSE flag added. Returns -forceasm to its former meaning of forcing assembly generally, and takes on the function of forcing SSE specifically.*

- Warnings printed if -forceasm/-forceSSE flags given.

- Benchmarking not done except at start of normal operation (for example, not if only configuring, listing queue, deleting unit, etc.).

- Warning if attempt to run client with Machine ID of already running client (catches most common cases, including if running same client twice)

- Upon finishing a unit, if fails to return the result but succeeds in getting new work, immediately tries sending all results again.

- Checks user name and team number for legality of use in statistics. (In GUI, gives popup error).

- Assignment/work server request authentication

- CPU usage default of 100 printed out during Configuration.

- Maximum machine IDs raised to 8.

- Upload and download bandwidths estimated to send to AS.

- If fails to post data, includes server and port in message. Also outputs HTTP status code (before this was only done if I.E. settings used).

- Bug fixed where performance fraction could exceed 1.

- Version information added to executables.

* Items with an asterisk require FahCore_78.exe v. 1.53 to be functional -- certain work servers are already forcing downloads of this core.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:37 pm

wussboy wrote:Is there any way I can run this without losing my current WU?
TRC-13 wrote:Yes. It converts the queue.
Just to fill in for those who missed the opening credits...
  • Once you upgrade to 4.0, there is no going back to 3.xx since the 'queue' file is converted.
  • You SHOULD just be able to stop Folding@Home and fire up 4.0, which will recognize that it needs to convert the queue, and take up where the 3.xx client left off. To be extra safe, wait till the completion of a WU to upgrade. At that point, even if things get totally trashed, you won't loose anything.
I have been running the 4.0 Beta1 on one machine without problems. It's a worthwhile upgrade if only for some of the new features. I don't know that "performance" will be any different since it's running the same core.

David