And another!!!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

And another!!!

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:16 am

Got my latest AMD today (thanks, Semm!) and fiddled about tonight setting up what will become my domain server. And added Folding system. ;) Mostly waiting on a drive to return from Seagate to finalize the build. And maybe a new case purchase.

Abit KT7A v1.3
AMD 1600XP Palomino core
Stock AMD cooler with puny fan, taken down to 5v
Whiny Quantum 8gb hard disk, wrapped in two t-shirts
old case from my dead P2

First attempts at getting it going were... frustrating. Didn't like the first video card, wouldn't even POST. Had to go off the beep codes. Swapped vid cards and was up and going. Sort of. It wouldn't recognize the 30gb WD that was for temporary use. Wouldn't recognize my other WD drives either, 4, 10, and 18gb. Did recognize the Quantum, and a 60gb Cuda IV pulled from another system for testing. Very wierd.

Currently doing some undervolt tests. Stock is 1.75vcore, currently have it set at 1.55vcore. Tried 1.50vcore for the helluvit and blue-screened twice booting into Windows. Stable so far (15 minutes) with a .2v undervolt. The puny stock cooler and 5 volted fan is maintaining about 45C right now, full load.

Once its up and going 24/7 (questionable right now if I'll sleep with that whiny hard disk going) I should see another 3-400 PPW. :D

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:31 am

I've got 4 comps running it now. 3 are 24/7 machines. I will have my wife's machine doing it soon. I'm working on a way to get my boss to let me put it on the library lab machines, which would put another 15 pentium 3's on. Don't know if it will happen, but I'm gonna try. She usually trusts me, so there is at least an even chance.

Wendell

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:58 am

Good luck with that Wendell. If FAH is set up to run as a service, nobody will even know it's there. I haven't experienced any instability and it doesn't interfere in the least with any activity. And if it does, just turn the service off and it won't run. Piece o' cake.

Zyzzyx,

That extra production should keep you ahead of me for a while. I've not only lost one of my P4's, but it's my main machine, so I need to try to get that going again, while the first of three Athlon 2500+ "blades" is ready to be hooked up to the farm server. If I thought that would be quick, I'd go ahead and do that, but I'm not convinced it will be quick. Nothing else about that project has been. :!:

David

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:52 am

Well, ended up turning it off last night as I expected, too whiny to sleep with it powered up. I can deal with it otherwise though. So, firing up Prime95 for a stability test for a couple hours while I go to class.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:31 am

I'm too impatient to run 24 hours of Prime95. Hasn't burped in 3 hours, time to move on to Folding. :)

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:30 pm

Alright! Currently sitting at 1100ppw production with my home systems. And I usually get 400ppw from my work computer.

Now to wait til next weekend to see the numbers really take effect.

And another couple weeks yet until the graphs get rid of the spike and settle back into something meaningful.

Durn this impatience.

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:57 am

Zyzzyx if you want to test stability but don't want to waste folding time (I know the feeling :) ), you could try running both Prime95 and F@H which may reveal more failures than Prime95 by itself. Running at 50% cpu usage each one, you'll be doing a good test and producing half the points for folding.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:46 am

Hmmm... could work.

I'll just give up the Folding for a day though and do the 24 hours of Prime95. This system is going to end up being the server for my home network, including being a web/email/ftp server. I am definitely looking for solid reliability. I don't have the final build setup yet though. Waiting on a hard disk to get back from Seagate, and need to swap the PSU yet. Once I get that set up, it will see loops of Memtest, and at least 24 hours of Prime95.

Semm

Post by Semm » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:40 pm

Just a quick "glad you got it and it works" :)

Semm, who will now be producing even more since his 2200+ is now up 24/7 instead of about 10/6...Muahaha! :twisted:

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:27 pm

Semm wrote:Semm, who will now be producing even more since his 2200+ is now up 24/7 instead of about 10/6...Muahaha! :twisted:
Yeah, I noticed that. You were on my 'Threats' list this morning over at EOC.

(and Dyyryath's stats are down right now, first time I've seen that)