Welcome new members

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:59 pm

aston

Post by aston » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:59 pm

Nah... with the boxes you have, you'll be jockeying for position on page 2 in no time. :)

aston

Post by aston » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:03 pm

Nice, Wrah... but I like this girl better. :wink:

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:44 pm

haysdb wrote:Grokker

MrRumble

BMWBMW

zuperdee

Welcome to the team. :D
Hey David, is everything OK with MrRumble's points? Image
Stanford Stats 2004-03-02 20:06:37 wrote: 287 MrRumble Score 8 WorkUnits 8
Stevo
------------
lookin' out for the new guy... Image

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:27 am

Stevo@ARM wrote:Hey David, is everything OK with MrRumble's points? Image
Stanford Stats 2004-03-02 20:06:37 wrote: 287 MrRumble Score 8 WorkUnits 8
Stevo
------------
lookin' out for the new guy... Image
No, definitely not. I noticed that the other day, but until he checks in and lets us know what his logs say, there's not much we can do to help.

David

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:14 pm

Decided to take the plunge and join the folding team (folding name D_Bailey). Enjoying the good spirit around this place, and certainly don't mind doing my part for the cancer research. SPCR has been a great help to me, perhaps I can return a little of the favor this way.

As much as possible I'll try to keep my P4-2.8 and my Extreme systems both up, running, and contributing to the SPCR team.

After reading as much as I could to understand the various frame sizes of the WU's, I guess I'm getting off to a slow start since one of my machines is working on a project with 5000 frames! Fortunately the other is a more typical 400 frames. Oh well.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:09 pm

Douglas Bailey wrote:After reading as much as I could to understand the various frame sizes of the WU's, I guess I'm getting off to a slow start since one of my machines is working on a project with 5000 frames! Fortunately the other is a more typical 400 frames. Oh well.
Actually, I think the 5000 frames is the better of the two. You'll probably find that you'll cut through that one faster than the 400 one.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:20 pm

Doug,

Welcome to the SPCR Folding Team! We've done whupped the Mac-ites and we're after the Dutch Moo's now!

Don't sweat the 5,000 unit proteins. They're done in 50 unit chunks. I think. Eyeball your log file for info on progress (right click on the folding icon in your taskbar, then status/logfile.) It'll go by faster than you think.

Let us know if you have any questions and have fun folding. :)

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:52 pm

Thank you for the offer of information. There is one VERY simple question I've not been able to find an answer for either here or in the "official" forum.folding-community: What does the "PPW" stand for in the sig block? No doubt it's perfectly clear, but I'm not finding an answer anywhere. Thanks.

(woohoooo.. got my first WU finished already!)

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:13 am

Douglas:

PPW: Points per week. It's a better measure of your machine "efficiency" that for example PPD (points per day). You'll see that points given to proteins are not very well related to time expended in completing them, so if you give your PPW instead of PPD you're giving a less prompt to variations measure. In fact the sig most of us use, gives the PPW calculated from last 2 weeks.

Congratulations on your first WU. Keep it folding :)

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:55 am

Totally addicting stuff this folding. Now I understand why someone said they race home so they can plug in their laptop and get it folding again.

Our generous IT Director allowed me to load the client on two machines at work. So for some time anyway I can fold x 4. It's nice to feel like these boxes we love so much are contributing something to a higher goal.

Ok, so the work computers are slow machines and won't do THAT much, but anything to sneak past the Dutch Moo's right!

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:05 am

Welcome to the fold Douglas.

Now that you have multiple clients running, you should set some goals. Pete is always a good one to race and a race to 10000 points would be fun to watch. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just be careful around him. Pete may look slow :roll: but he is crafty :wink: . I think he is undefeated in races...or so he claims :roll:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:31 am

NullObject... I resemble that remark!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Douglas, welcome to the fold. 8) 8) 8)

I can feel your force... and see great things in you 8) 8)

Well alright... It's 'Very Bloody obvious' your additicted already 8) 8)

One WU finished and your already borging machines :shock: :shock:

Sir... I Salute You

Ignore NullObject, He's still aching about me beating him to 100th place :wink: , It is Three races/ Three Wins :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I just whish I could remember it's Here thats it's all documented for the history books :roll: :twisted:

Regards

Pete :twisted:

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:18 am

Dear Rev. Voodoo Pete"the unassuming crafty bugger"Amer,

ahhh.. I think you scare me. With your 612 PPW and my 0 still showing, I'm not sure what kind of race we could have. Especially since those two borgs of mine are barely worthy of the name computer - after 2 1/2 hours one has completed 10/250 frames, and the other is chugging at a rate that will take 200 hours to finish it's first WU.

How about I just stand in the background and try to stay out of the way of your voodoo spells?

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:36 am

Douglas, don't be so hard on yourself :shock:

Have a look Here, there aren't many graphs and statistics that look that good :D :D

Just give it time, it may take up to two weeks for your PPW to give a true indication of what your producing.

Mine are on a high after... well, that's another story. :twisted: :twisted:

~550PPW would be more accurate.

I only have 1 XP2400+ @ 24/7
and a XP1600+ @ 16ish/7

Trust me, given a little while you'll be surprised at how fast you'll climb the ranks.

Especially when you ...'forget' :wink: to turn your work comps off on a Friday night :twisted: :twisted:

Fold on Worthy Brother :wink:

Voodoo Pete etc.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:32 pm

D_Bailey

Lord09

Welcome aboard mates!

David

NeilBlanchard

We are soooo close to 50%

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:02 am

Hello:

To make it to 50% active members, we need to have 2 inactive members start Folding again :shock: , or get 4 new members :twisted: AND have everyone who is currently Folding -- keep it up! :wink:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:21 am

Well, I am working on a friend of mine who administers the computers for a department at Texas A&M. He has 60 processors he could bring to the effort if I could talk him into it.

LOL, I told him to start with one or two and see how he likes it!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:27 pm

Damn !!! :shock: :shock: Have you seen the Page 2 & Page 3 Brothers we have making the stats look so good?? :shock: :shock:

Apologies to all concerned :oops: ... but there's far too many names involved for me to type up :oops: :oops: (Lazy Git an all that :oops: )

'Men... your doing a Damn fine job :wink: :wink: .. ( faarrrr too many of you scaring me :( :cry: )

And long may your glory continue to shine through and prove fruitfull for you and SPCR. 8) 8)

Keep it up 'O worthy Bretheren' and Lets keep those 'mac' boys in place and chase the seemingly dormant 'Cows'.

(Damn... Back in the old days when I was a Newb (Many many days ago :oops: ..)... It was easy to show appreciation for our up and coming glory)

Now it takes someone like haysdb to do it full justice (Here's where i put the 'Praying' emoticon if I knew where it was :oops: )

Fold on Brothers

Pete
(The gonna be overtaken by many) Amer :D :D

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Welcome to all the new members that haven't been listed in here. EOC's stats do not currently have the ability to let us know who the new team members are. Please introduce yourselves and thank you for your points :wink:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:07 pm

Hopefully that feature will be back soon, and I will catch up with everyone.

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:21 am

In the absence of the new members list at EOC, I am going to take a stab at it just from our member list.

christopher_n_lewis

derruti

pdf27

nsparadox

SPCR

Welcome! Image

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:37 pm

Hi everyone
I've just joined in the team!
Being a biochem undergrad, how can I not fold@home and let my cpu cycles go to waste? hehe

I'm actually folding away, and I think it will take all night before finishing my first WU. How many WU on average do you guys make per week? I'm curious to know if I can keep up with you guys.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 pm

samwc912 wrote:Hi everyone
I've just joined in the team!
Being a biochem undergrad, how can I not fold@home and let my cpu cycles go to waste? hehe

I'm actually folding away, and I think it will take all night before finishing my first WU. How many WU on average do you guys make per week? I'm curious to know if I can keep up with you guys.
Welcome! We absolutely LOVE new members. :D

How many WU on average? That's a "loaded question" but I will give you a straight answer: per machine, anywhere from 1 to maybe 20. :wink: Different work units take different amounts of time, and then you have cpu power to consider. Throw a 'Tinker' at a weak cpu, and you could chew on it for a week. Or two. Get a bunch of "small" Gromacs, and a high end cpu might grind through several per day.

This is why "points" are a more understandable measure of "work". Each WU is assigned a number of points based on how long it takes to complete on a standard benchmark cpu (Celeron 500), so "harder" WU's are worth more points than "easier" ones. Points per week per cpu will vary from under 100 for an old pc to 1000 or more at the ultra high end. Typical PC's produce 400 to 800 points per week.

Sorry, I hope that's not more than you wanted to know! :lol:

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:59 pm

Sam,

Welcome to SPCR Folding!

Glad to have you with us. Different proteins have different point values, generally from 18 to 70 points with the most common around 33 points or so. The higher the point value, the longer it takes to complete. For examle, my ofc computer is currently crunching on p1012_lzip_350 and it's taking about 9 mins 40 seconds to complete each step or frame out of 100. (T'bred 2600+) This wu is worth 40 points. A P4 2.8 will make about 750 to maybe as much as 900 points a week if it was running 24/7.

Good luck folding and post back if you have any questions. We try to have a lot of fun here and get some enjoyment out of this. Why not?

Have fun folding!

M

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:00 pm

Thx for the welcome :lol:

But how do I know if I got a tinker or gromac?
A tinker runs faster on older cpus while gromac is better for high end cpu, right if i'm not mistaken?

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:37 pm

Oops. David sneeked his post in whilst I was writing mine. 2 welcomes are better than one! :)

The only way that I know a Tinker from a Gromac is that the log file says fahcore78.exe for a Gro and fahcore65.exe for a Tinker when the wu gets started. I think the log file also says "Tinker" at the beginning of log when you've got one.

Some folders think that non SSE cpus will produce more points per week crunching Tinkers than Gromacs. Makes sense, but, I've never verified it.

Keep Folding!

M

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:45 pm

I dunno about the others, but I had to pass the -advmethods argument before I started getting gromacs.

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:12 pm

Yeah I got a Tinker!! kidding....
well it will take 48 hours before finishing.

What is the difference with using the default program and Electron Microscope III?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:29 pm

samwc912 wrote:What is the difference with using the default program and Electron Microscope III?
Not sure what you mean by "default program", but I'm guessing that you are using the GUI client? The primary value of EMIII and F@H LogStats, a functionally similar program, is in their ability to monitor multiple F@H clients on a network. If you are running the command line client, or running FAH as a service, these programs allow you to monitor the client.

David