Odd Client problem

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Odd Client problem

Post by bigred » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:24 pm

I just installed the client on two different machines. On one its running perfectly, but on the other I have 2 problems. The first is that while it's running and I try to run some programs in fullscreen mode, I get kicked back to the desktop.

The second is that for some reason the text colour on the second machine is blue, (instead of white) and with the blue background of the client, it makes reading the text difficult. Anyone know why this is happening, or how to change the font colour?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:25 pm

bigred, these are GUI clients?

Did the fullscreen mode thing just start happening when you installed Folding@Home?

David

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:44 pm

I assume he is using console.

1. I don't know. It should not happen. Try not running F@H and try maximizing via Alt+Enter and see what happens. I just tried on my box with F@H console running and got into full screen okay.

2. Right-click on the toolbar of the command window. Select Properties. You should have Colors tab active. Choose any background color you want, you can also choose foreground color and other stuff.

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 am

Oh sorry, yeah its the GUI that is installed on both. On my machine I am going to switch to the CLI version, but for the other one the GUI is ideal because it can be minimised to the sys-tray and hidden out of the users way.

Yes the fullscreen problem is only while F@H is running.

Screenshot

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:53 pm

bigred, another way to "hide" Folding@Home is to run it as a service. There are a few threads around about ways to do that, and one of the MacOS X guys, Mustang Mac I think, has written an installer that should make it even easier.

I don't know what to suggest about the problem with the GUI client. I haven't heard of that one before. I'd probably just delete the .exe and download a new one. Actually, since it could be a Registry issue, it might be better to uninstall it first, then delete the exe, doanload a new one, and reinstall.

David

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:13 am

Ok cool, thanks.

So then is the installer he made for OS-X or XP?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:10 pm

bigred wrote:Ok cool, thanks.

So then is the installer he made for OS-X or XP?
XP

nap_loaf

Post by nap_loaf » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:37 pm

I have the "blue text" problem as well, and as that screenshot demonstrates, it makes things very hard to read! It was white when I first installed the client but I'm not sure what happened to change it.

If it wasn't for the risk of landing a Tinker, I'd try reinstalling.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:06 pm

nap_loaf,

You can reinstall without loosing your work. Just save off the 'work' folder and the client.cfg and queue.dat files, just to be safe, in case they get deleted when you reinstall the client software. Then drag them back into the Folding@Home folder after the reinstall.

The queue.dat contains, among other things, your "performance fraction" which dictates, in part, whether you get Gromacs or Tinkers.

client.cfg is a small text file with your configuration settings - Team number, user name, Machine ID, etc.

The 'work' folder is the current WU.

There has to be a "reason" for this blue text problem though. Have you done a search over at http://www.folding-community.org ?

David