Newbie with a custom build, but after a new PSU

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

groovy_hippy

Newbie with a custom build, but after a new PSU

Post by groovy_hippy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:25 am

Hi everyone :) This is my first ever PC build and has a 100% custom case.
Specs :

Zotac 9300-ITX motherboard
Q9550
4gb Kingston Hyper-X
320gb WD Caviar Blue

Bit of a trouble though, the PSU sounds like a jet-engine...! In my rush to build it (and being a newbie!) I didn't research PSUs and bought a 'not so good' one.

I've been looking at the Nexus Value 430 and the Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF. Obviously the Silverstone is much more expensive, but the idea of it being fanless really appeals to me.

So, my questions are - is 430 - 450w enough for my system? (I may put a low profile graphics card in it at some point, and another HDD)

And do you guys have any other recommendations/ideas to put to me?

Thanks!!

groovy_hippy :)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 am

Hi,

WELCOME TO SPCR !!!

IMO, yes, 450W is enough for your system, even with a GTS250 (most powerful low profile GPU today, I think).
Don't forget that the nightjar will require "some" airflow too.

Without the extra GPU, you should even get away with a Pico PSU (someone should confirm that).

Don't forget to post pics when you're done ;-)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 am

The Q9550 has a TDP of 95W. So, comparing it vs. the e7200 in Lawrence's Zotac 9300 review, it looks like your load power will be under 100W.

So, the Nexus Value 430 should be inaudible.

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks frenchie and CA_Steve :) I do like the idea of fanless, but I'm just not sure I can afford it! The Nexus value 430 review says 11db at upto 150w - I take it that's really quiet? Are there any PSUs out there which switch their fans off at very low load?

And is there any simple way of explaining how much power my system should take?

I can't post a picture yet as I need have made at least 3 posts :( So there'll be one up soon!

Thanks again guys!

groovy_hippy

eit412
Patron of SPCR

Post by eit412 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:07 am

I have the Nexus Value 430 nad it is extreamly quiet. If i stall the other fan in my system i cannot hear anything from my system unless i have my head around the back side of the case right by the pwer supply (i have an intel X25-V SSD so no hard drive noise). I am running a Q6600 on a Gigabyte G41 motherboard, so my power requirements should be close to yours (I think your CPU may be more pwoer effecient). I have a Antec NSK 3480 case, so the power supply is seprate from the rest of the case, wich helps.

I seem to remember a couple of power supplys that would not turn on their fan at low loads, but once the fan turned on it was too loud and would not turn off once the power was reduced, or might turn on and off in an annoying cycle every few minutes.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 am

I think a fan rotating at 370 rpm (in the case of the Nexus) is below your level of hearing.

Read the mobo review linked. It will give you an idea of your power use. Figure your idle power will be slightly more due to your quad core. Have already mentioned load power. have fun.

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 am

I seem to remember a couple of power supplys that would not turn on their fan at low loads, but once the fan turned on it was too loud and would not turn off once the power was reduced, or might turn on and off in an annoying cycle every few minutes.
I can see how that would get annoying actually, sounds like the best option is to have a fanless PSU or or a quiet one like the Nexus. From what you've said eit412 it must be a quiet PSU!

I'm thinking I'll definitely get a low profile graphics card too, by the sounds of it 430w will be fine to power everything.

CA_Steve, I'll have a certainly have a read of that review, many thanks for the link!

Think I'll be able to post a picture of my system after this post :)

Thanks again everyone!

groovy_hippy :)

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:12 am