STR or S3 sleep mode...

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Intel Macs... A decent platform for modding now?

Yes - they should be moddable almost as much as a PC
40%
No - too difficult
20%
No - too expensive
20%
Why on earth would you mod an already perfect machine?
No votes
Mac Shmack - I'm sick of them
20%

Total votes: 5

bvz

STR or S3 sleep mode...

Post by bvz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:49 am

I am building a (cheap) PC. My first.

I, of course, want it to be fairly quiet during use. But more important is that it go completely to sleep when I but it to sleep. No fans. I mean dead like the night. (It should still wake up, of course).

What mobo and psu combo supports this? I am leaning towards an AMD athlon 64 processor...

Thanks!

Ben

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:31 pm

S3 sleep mode does exactly this, it works seemingly perfectly with a computer I built recently: ASRock 939DualSATA2 (AMD64), Antec Smartpower 2.0 PSU and Windows 2000 SP4. All that needed to be done is to choose S3 only in the bios, and set the jumper to +5VSB for the USB stuff. When sleeping every noisemaker turns off. I'd say that any PSU and most modern motherboards can do this.

As for the macs, apparently you cannot install windoze on an intel mac because they don't have BIOS, but some more advanced replacement (that windows doesn't support). Apart from that, if you can live with the lack of games MacOS is far superior than windows IMHO, but Linux is the holy grail :lol:

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Hi, I second what cAPSLOCK says. In S3 my PC turns off all the fans, HDD etc, the only differance from off is the power LED flashes. (and that it won't recover from it with my current overclock settings, S1 is OK, but it folds 24/7 anyway :) ) My system needs the power button to be pressed for S3 wake up but this maybe due to the cordless mouse/keyboard or a setting somewhere, I haven't tried to find out. A neighbour's machine will wake from S3 on the keyboard. Almost all modern (<2 year old) motherboard should support S3 sleep.
Seb

bvz

Post by bvz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

b