Insight-My current case is yellowish wraparound hunk of tin.

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

What do I need most

Poll ended at Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:51 pm

handholding
50%
kick in the backside
No votes
Personality reboot
No votes
A clue
50%

Total votes: 2

Leer

Insight-My current case is yellowish wraparound hunk of tin.

Post by Leer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:51 pm

So I need some handholding or a kick in the backside. You choose.

I’m finding that I like features from different cases and was hoping that somebody could work a little advice magic. My top priority is for a quiet system with simplicity, reliability and flexibility coming next.

On the inside there isn’t much power draw but a 110W Opteron furnace.

Evga SLI (it was free)
EVGA 7900 GT KO
Opteron 170 (no OC)
4 GB OCZ gold
300 GB SATA2
Zalman 400A-APF PSU

Front runners: ANTEC’s updated P180 and the SOLO. Seasonic S12 430HB or S12 380H.

Questions:
-Is the fan on the bottom of a PSU useless in a P180?
-Can I rip out the fan of my current PSU and rely on the P180 PSU chamber fan?
-On the EVGA mobo the NB chip is right under the video card so the new VGA intake fan and a bent to heck Zalman passive heat sink could eliminate the stock rattle trap NB cooler.
-Any other cases with that VGA intake? Seen a mod for the SOLO to match the P180 intake?
-Any drive suspension mod for the P180 other than rubber bands and some spit? (ie after market mod)
-Does the P180 have cable management like the SOLO (noting on Antec’s web)

My budge is about a P180 with a S12 and a few Scythe 120 case fans. Oh, and I’m in Canuckistan down the road from SPCR so NCIX and FrontierPC are good friends.

Any new cases soon to hit the market?

Cheers,
Leer

nici

Re: Insight-My current case is yellowish wraparound hunk of

Post by nici » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Leer wrote: -Is the fan on the bottom of a PSU useless in a P180?
No.
Leer wrote: -Can I rip out the fan of my current PSU and rely on the P180 PSU chamber fan?
Yes it´s possible, but you need to be extremely careful. I fried a PSU and a mobo in a similar setup once, worked perfect untill i accidentally put in the fan the wrong way.
Leer wrote: -On the EVGA mobo the NB chip is right under the video card so the new VGA intake fan and a bent to heck Zalman passive heat sink could eliminate the stock rattle trap NB cooler.
You would want to skip the vga duct, in fact new revisions don´t even have it.
Leer wrote: -Any other cases with that VGA intake? Seen a mod for the SOLO to match the P180 intake?
See above.
Leer wrote: -Any drive suspension mod for the P180 other than rubber bands and some spit? (ie after market mod)
No need for suspension really, the silicone grommets work well for reducing vibration.
Leer wrote: -Does the P180 have cable management like the SOLO (noting on Antec’s web)
No it doesn´t, organizing cables in the P180 is quite disturbing, but possible. The P150/SOLO are much easier to work on.
Leer wrote: Any new cases soon to hit the market?
Probably, but nothing interesting AFAIK. :wink:

Oh , Welcome to SPCR!! :D

Leer

Re: Insight-My current case is yellowish wraparound hunk of

Post by Leer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:53 pm

Nici

Thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed it but the 2 92mm fans in the SOLO will put enough air on the NB and VGA card to keep me happy. So the SOLO seems to be the solution for me.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a longtime lurker :)