A 'thank you' to this community

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alt130

A 'thank you' to this community

Post by alt130 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:24 am

I have lurked around for a little while, and decided to register to thank everyone who contributes to this site for helping me in finally building a very quiet PC.

After five years with my old computer, I finally got to the point where I knew I needed an upgrade. Noise wasn't really a huge priority at the outset, but while I was reacquainting myself with current technology I stumbled across a review on this site and started looking further into the idea. In the end, I made room in my budget for an Antec Solo case, a decent video card with passive cooling, a Noctua NH-U12F heatsink, and an extra Noctua fan afterwards to replace the stock fan as I determined it was a bit noisy in comparison. I've also undervolted the fans of course, and at the moment am still fiddling around a bit.

By no means is my new computer silent, but it is closer than I've ever personally experienced. In fact, every time the furnace comes on, the air rushing through the vents overpowers it. The sound is rather like the eerie silence that I used to experience during the rare times my computer was off, and despite all the other benefits of a new system is the best thing I accomplished in the upgrade.

Of course, now I also realize that my ~6 month old replacement power supply I decided to keep is no longer "silent" compared to everything else, so it looks like I am going to be spending a bit more. However, even right now I have a machine that is very quiet up close, and completely inaudible from more than a few feet away--and that's huge considering its proximity to my bed.

So once again, thank you to the people who run this site, the people who post, and everyone else who has created a market for quiet PC components so that I could benefit.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:25 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!

And that's about the same way I started, found some review (either heatsink or maybe case) thought it was well done, if with a particular fetish towards noise and toes, and kept coming back.

Now everything in my apartment is very quiet....but not silent.

There is always more ;)

edit: and these forums are some of the most technically knowledgeable and **polite** ones I've ever visited. Which ranks them as some of the most useful--the Search button will probably bring up whatever scenario you need advice on, without wading through a bunch of manure.

alt130

Post by alt130 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:35 am

Thanks... and you're right, I've found a lot of *very* helpful information here, as well as very friendly people. You're proof of that.

I do see putting together a media centre PC before too long, and you can bet I'll be scavenging around here for that too. ;)

Again, great to see so many people pushing quiet computing into the spotlight. I look forward to the innovation it brings.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:56 pm

psiu wrote:edit: and these forums are some of the most technically knowledgeable and **polite** ones I've ever visited.
That is so true!

PCTech2446

Post by PCTech2446 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:53 pm

alt130 wrote:Thanks... and you're right, I've found a lot of *very* helpful information here, as well as very friendly people. You're proof of that.
Mee too. I have been just reading around since I registered back in March. Thanks!

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:52 pm

This site seems to atract the more mature audiences. I think it is the professional, no BS way that the SPCR team conducts their reviews. This site would be nothing without all of you coming and lending a helping hand to everyone who comes by and I am happy that the quiet movement is gaining momentum. Yes, many of us are wierd and obsesive about noise but their experience sure does come in handy when you are trying to build a completely silent bedroom HTPC for less than $500.

I just wish there was a site as good as this that could help me fix my deinterlacing issues on my 1080p TV and 6150 graphics. AVSforums is just way too much information and is not very well organized. It looks like the 6150 just can't handle 1080p with VMR9. I will have to use overlay until the HDMI passive 8300GS comes out and then I will probably have to fuss with crappy drivers.

ShadowVlican

Post by ShadowVlican » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:34 pm

i too have lurked for a long time

but finally with a problem of my own, i must register to seek help :lol:

this is a great community sharing one goal to achieve silent computing :)

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:22 pm

I haven't been around in a while, but I too owe the SPCR for all the help! By no means is my system silent, but what I've learned here is just priceless. My P180 can use a few more modifications and I now have the confidence to approach the next round of tweaking with ease and results.