new to this site, but wow
it looks awesome, it seems to good to be true that there is such an evolved and advanced site dedicated to this subject.
since i found this site (2 days ago) i have searched and read many articles already, but decided to post this since i have a few very specific questions.
first off, i have already tried to silence my DAW (computer used to record/produce music) in the past (year ago) and unfortunately had crappy results with the thing still sounding like a vacum cleaner
if only i knew about the existance of this website back then!
basicly in my original attempt; all i did was i bought a new power supply and cpu fan
and i also pulled out all other fans (case fans)
i bought a antec power supply (350 watt) which said "silent" on the box
....it is NOT silent
i also bought a cpu cooler which said it was "quiet" on the packaging
....again, far from it ! (louder than the power supply)
so now a year later the machine is still unberably loud with a annoying and very distinctive hum (which leads me to produce music in the same frequency asa the hum!)
but after reading some articles on here ive decided to try it again but this time with help from this community here, and im ready to buy some of the recomended gear (heatsinks, fans, powersupplies) but wanted to ask some questions first.
my machine is an old Athlon 2000+ (socket A) on a ECS k7s5a board (videocard is a fanless asus 6200)
1. i have a HUGE heatsink (not installed) my friend gave me called "Sonic Tower" by Thermaltake (designed to be used with no fan)
i have never tried using it in fear that my cpu might overheat.
is it possible to use this instead of a heatsnk/fan combo because the cpu is an old chip compared to todays standards?
2. if not, which combination of heatsink/fan is optimum for my socket A setup? it seems that the most recommended gear on here (ninja heatsink, nexus fan) will not fit my socket.
also it would be good to know whats compatible with my mobo and what would fit around the cpu
3. i noticed that alot of the fans and heatsinks are rated up to rating of 8 and 9, but that the power supplies top off at 7.
does that mean that there is really no point in getting a fan rated above 7 since the power supply will be louder anyways?
4. what is the general consensus on hard drives? is it true that samsung spinpoint drives are some of the quietest?
5. this question might be really obvious for most, but how do i check/monitor my cpu temperature? (is it something i have to install? its not having to go to bios is it?)
aside from my music computer (daw) i also have a REALLY OLD dell (pentium2!) that i use strictly to surf the net.
and as much as i am not a fan off dell, i have to admit that the old P2 is pretty darn quiet! sometimes i cant even tell if its on unless the harddrive or optical drive is working.
if i really listen to it i can hear a faint frequency in the upper range, but it is not annoying like the music machine
even if i could make my music machine SPL to match the old dell, that would be good enough for me
anyhow, i really appreciate any help