HTPC

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

joaopedr

HTPC

Post by joaopedr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:59 am

Hello everyone,

After reading many threads could not find one that can clarify me so I'm opening this topic.

I have now the following system:
Processor: C2D 6750
Motherboard: Asus P5K
Memory: 2x1GB Geil Ultra DDR2 800
Graphics Card: XFX 8600 GTS
HDD: Maxtor 1TB Maxtor 250 Gb Maxtor 200 Gb Seagate 500GB
Source (PSU): NOX 600W
System: Win 7

I intend to build a HTPC reusing the largest possible number of components that already have.

What should I buy?
-Housing (seen the Nox Live 2) - any advise?
-The graphics do not have HDMI output but the TV has PC input so it is not a problem - the question is whether it fits into the case for HTPC
-The board can be seized? It has an optical output so I also think thatI can use this board. What is your opinion?

Another question I have is that I wish I could use the system as HTPC
to view multimedia content but also would like to use the system
as a traditional system (up to play some games). With Win7 this is
possible? It takes some special software to allow this
happen? Should I have dual boot (for a HTCP and another for Win7)?

And even if it is better to buy a HTPC ION spending a maximum of 300 € or
should I keep this system?

I would like to know your opinions because I am very noob in this type of systems.

Thanks in advance.

jhhoffma

Re: HTPC

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:24 am

Simply put, an HTPC is just a PC connected to a monitor/TV/HDTV that is used primarily for media playback. Everything else is optional: 10ft display (like Windows Media Center), IR remotes, and the like are not difficult to configure.

I can't comment on the case you mention, never heard of it. Looks ok, but I'm not a huge fan of Imon displays/IR combos.

Not sure what your audio setup for your HTPC would be, but if you have a reciever and 5.1 (or better) speaker setup, unless your mobo also has Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect built-in, you will likely need to use AC3Filter or a codec pack with it built in, to configure your optical output to output in anything better than Digital 2.0 (stereo).

Win7 (at least any version that includes Windows Media Center) has everything you need for an HTPC to be effective, except for more complete codecs.

I'm not thrilled about your HDDs, but if that's all you have I'd use the Seagate and 1TB maxtor and ditch the other two. Likely to be more noise than they are worth in storage.