PicoPSU and Power Adapter Question

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Charuto

PicoPSU and Power Adapter Question

Post by Charuto » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:42 am

Okay not really about the PicoPSU, but rather the PW-200-M. I've been trying to lower the power consumption on a computer in hopes of being able to use a PicoPSU kit, but it seems that I won't get it to a proper level of power usage. Thus, I've begun to look at the PW-200-M. Can anyone tell me what type of jack the power adapter must have in order to plug into the PW-200-M? Are there any compatible power adapters in the 150W range that are readily available for purchase? How hard would it be to alter a non-compatible power adapter with the right fittings? And finally, should a guy like me who knows nothing about electronics even attempt to mod a power adapter in such a way?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:17 am

First...where do you live? In the USA you can buy adapters that plug right in at Radio Shack. Take the thing to the store and match it up to the right plug. My 200M came with the jack already attached. At the same time I bought a few plugs from the same place. My old Zip drive used the same plug size....plugged right in, and I'm using it right now. If you buy a 12V power supply from the same place, it comes with the right plug.

I bought a 180W (15A) psu from Radio Shack that I use. Be sure to check the output voltage of the PSU you want to use. My PICO 120W won't start with anything over 13.8V or so.

It's really easy to splice (connect) wires. You can solder them together, or use solderless crimp fittings. Wrap electrical tape around the joints. All this stuff can be bought at Radio Shack, or similar stores.

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:19 am

Thanks for the response. I saw your Aria in the other forum, it was nice. I wish my system just used a little less power so I could just get the kit and avoid my local Radioshack. Guy over there doesn't even know what he carries, but from the way you describe things though it seems like I should be okay on my own.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:42 am

I wish my system just used a little less power
if it's the system in your sig it should use <100w. I suspect you're talking about a different system tho.

eitheta
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by eitheta » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:01 am

I'd suggest replacing the 12V input connector of the PW-200, with something to match whatever power-brick you use. The PW-200 has a cheapo little barrel connector (a type that is usually rated to carry 1 Amp). The leads for it are just 12 inches long (not really enough to route nicely to the back panel of most chassis), and are of very lightweight 18 gauge wire. A bit light for 200 Watt @ 12 VDC = 16.7 Amp.

My recommendation:

Find a Dell 220W AC-DC adapter on eBay. Search for:
dell (sx280,"DA-2","DA2,Y2515) (ac,mains,power)

Today, you can get one for pretty cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0120514444

Get a connector to mate to the Dell brick from DigiKey etc (details and part #s in this post about my NSK1300/Aria.) Get the crimp-onto-wire contacts, if you want to avoid soldering altogether.

A cheapo multimeter will allow you to check that you've got everything hooked up, before you attach to your mobo.

Have fun! This is not terribly tricky, even if you've never seen a soldering iron before.

Charuto

Post by Charuto » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:01 am

Yeah it's a different system. It (the system in question) hovers around 90W most of the time. I could probably put the picopsu 120W kit in there, but then there's that issue with the fan in the power brick, and also me being unsure if I should have a bigger safety margin.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:35 am

On my Aria computer I did use a different connection system. I wanted a plug that could not be pulled loose (The Aria went to a person who had cats). So I used some special snap-together plugs from a scrap auto wire harness. I know the plug I used carried at least 20A.

You can buy plugs like this at RadioShack or hobby stores. They are used in Radio-controlled race cars....also can handle a lot of amps, and don't pull apart easily. You'd end up with a little connector dongle hanging out the rear of the computer. Wiring it this way means you need to ground the negative wire to the case.......as the connector no longer would do that when you mounted it. Before I did that, my Aria case would shock me. :lol: