Whining related to programs

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SevenFour

Whining related to programs

Post by SevenFour » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:40 pm

I recently assembled my new computer after getting advice in the Systems section of this forum. The build was pretty quiet although I was not satisfied until I installed my fanmate2 controllers to control the 4 fans.

However, at this point I noticed that there was a high pitched whine coming from the computer. At first I thought it was the exhaust fan, but when I stopped all fans it turns out it was not the fans. The sound seems to be coming from the area between the CPU cooleer and the exhaust fan. I would say that the motherboard and the PSU are the two suspects. I have stopped the PSU fan so it is not the fan of the PSU.

It turns out the whine starts when I do one of the following activities: visit a web page with flash/shockwave, watch a video, play audio, running skype (the last one seems a bit unrelated to all the other).

Given that most of them are audio related I tried uninstalling the Realtek HD drivers but the whine remains. So I am going to have to leave it at that today. It would be great if anyone has any ideas of what I should try next.

I have also tried running Orthos which did not cause any whining. Neither did ATITool running 3dview.

My system can be found here in the Systems subforum (I changed the motherboard and added 2 fanmates). Basically a Solo/Gigabyte P35-DS4/Seasonic S12-430w/Powercolor x1950pro SCS3 (passive)/Samsung HD501LJ. 2 Scythe S-flexE + 2 92mm Nexus for the front.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:04 pm

it's the motherboard VRM circuitry. there's nothing you can do apart from get a new board (ie RMA).

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:09 am

It turns out it is the PSU that is making the noise.

After being in contact with Gigabyte support as well as the two stores I bought the CPU and motherboard from, I decided it was time to really find out which component that is making the noise. So I removed the PSU from the computer and I am now running the computer with the PSU on the side (I had to remove the motherboard to get it out).

I have also disconnected all fanmates and I am only running the CPU fan (and PSU of course), since all of the support guys kept asking if the fanmates was the cause of the sound. So at the moment I have the following power connectors plugged in: 2x4 and 2x12 for the motherboard (I should connect both right?), 6-pin for the graphics card, SATA type connector for the HDD.

So this is about as much as I can do before sending it back right? Is there anything I could have done wrong here? I am still confused why the PSU would make this whining noise related to which programs I run, especially since it does not trigger during the load tests.

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:03 am

I just downloaded TAT and running a workload on one of the CPUs seems to generate a slightly higher frequency whine from the PSU as well. Running load tests on both CPUs at the same time produces two separate whines. Running the test for a minute or so, the CPU temps are up to ~45C - measured by CoreTemp 0.95.4, TAT shows 15 degrees less (i.e. the temperatures looks OK).

So, this is not normal right?

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:14 pm

I returned the PSU to the store. They were no longer selling the Seasonic S12-430w so I asked for an upgrade to the Corsair HX520w which I received free of charge. It was one of those things I was saying to myself after my build, to get a modular PSU next time. So I guess something good came out of all this.

I attached it outside the computer to listen for noises. The hx520 I received has two different kind of noises. One low muffled rattle kind of noise (related to the fan?). It also makes the same kind of whining beep (related to all those activities) as the previous PSU, only much more silent. I decided to try and assemble it in my Solo and see how much of this could be heard from the outside. I cannot hear the whining noise but I do hear the rattling noise but it is dampened by the case.

I have decided to leave it at that, I am very content with the current noise level. It is kind of weird how I get carried away with trying to make the noisiest part go away all the time, to the extent that I lose focus on how silent it really is (especially compared to my last computer). Anyway, I just wanted to share my results in case anyone else gets the same problem.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 am

all electronics are susceptible to coil whine, which is what your noticing. You've probably owned a PSU or motherboard in the past that made this noise, but your system fans were just so loud you didnt notice it.

Now that its getting easier and easier for people to quiet down their systems, you'll see a lot more posts like this about people complaining about coil whine.

Only thing you can do about it is to RMA the product in question and get a new one. All manufacturers and models are suseptible to this, so switching to a different PSU/motherboard may not necissarily fix your problem.

This type of issue also comes up from monitors, stereo equipment, gps units etc etc. basically anything with electronics can exhibit coil whine.