Xeons vs C2Ds?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Blue_Sky

Xeons vs C2Ds?

Post by Blue_Sky » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Since this is a newbie question, I'm going to ask it here.
What exactly is the difference between todays Xeons and C2Ds? I understand that each has their uses, but I have yet to find a clear explanation. So hardware and numbers wise (lets forget about price for the moment) what actually are the differences?

Xcapepr

Post by Xcapepr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Xeons' are meant for the Enterprise. They usually are just for servers and top shelf workstations.

The use ECC (error correction code) registered ram (search Google) which protect valuable data from memory errors.

You wont find a Micro ATX board that uses Xeons, only Full ATX and Extended ATX boards and neither in the sub $1k PC.

They are optimized for a Server environment and are definitely not for gaming, C2D's are QX's are enough!

bolek
Friend of SPCR

Post by bolek » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:37 am

Also, the 5xxx series Xeons are meant for dual socket 771 motherboards. The 3xxx series Xeons are essentially the same as C2D and use the same motherboards (single socket 775).

EDIT: there may be BIOS issues if you try to put 3xxx Xeon in a motherboard that does not officially support it (so, don't :-)).

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not actually planning a build with one, I'm just confused about the hardware differences. Is an x GHz C2D with y FSB really any different from an x GHz y FSB Xeon?
I understand the deal with ECC ram (I was given a computer that used ECC ram a long time ago, so I figured that all out then).

What differences am I going to see between a 3xxx and two 5xxx series that are clocked the same? Will it end up being the same as going from a E6600 to a Q6600?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:28 pm

The CPU cores in the C2D and newer Xeons are the same. The Xeons have larger caches, and use a different front side bus to a different north bridge. They perform better on server-class fat-memory applications like data base or web farms.

They are also priced higher, both CPU and NB. As a bonus they use more expensive memory too.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Xcapepr wrote:Xeons' are meant for the Enterprise. They usually are just for servers and top shelf workstations.

The use ECC (error correction code) registered ram (search Google) which protect valuable data from memory errors.

You wont find a Micro ATX board that uses Xeons, only Full ATX and Extended ATX boards and neither in the sub $1k PC.

They are optimized for a Server environment and are definitely not for gaming, C2D's are QX's are enough!
I beg to differ...

Cost per CPU aside -- They game just fine, and in some cases quite nicely. My last PC was a dual cpu xeon "server" If not for the limited AGP 4x graphics slot I would probably still be running it. Before the multi-core revolution started I had it running stuff in the background while playing said games. It was also great for development efforts.

Yes they cost more than an equivalant clockspeed non-xeon, but I found they "future proof" themselves quite nicely. The dual xeon box i got back in 2001 is still running fine 24x7, and wont break to give me an excuse to upgrade.

"enough" depends on what you use your PC for. with some, a single core is enough. for me.. im looking for a 2 cpu, dual/quad system in the future. The hard part is going to be making the beast run quiet enough.