Two computers, could use some improvement

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

konakona

Two computers, could use some improvement

Post by konakona » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 am

Hi folks,

I have two computers here that were built with silence in mind, but not quite up to the standards yet.

[Secondary Rig]
A64 [email protected]
Zalman 9700Cu
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D /w Vantec CCB-A1C
Sapphire 1900GT /w stock cooler
Antec 180B /w stock fans (120mm x3)
Antec SL300 /w stock fans (80mm x2 I think)
Seagate ST3200822A x2
Hitachi HDS722525VLSA80 x1
Hitachi HDS728080PLAT20 x1
Maxtor 6Y160P0 x1

[Primary Rig]
C2D [email protected]
Scythe Ninja Rev A. + Orange Yate Loon @12v
Biostar TP35D2-A7 /w stock chipset fan
Fuzion 3D 7300LE (fanless) for now, something better later
Antec Solo /w stock fan (120mm x1)
Antec EW430 /w stock fan (80mm x1)
Sasung 501LJ x1

I was about to put in a batch order from jabtech, but wanted to be certain on couple of things:

1) I heard SPCR was involved in designing P180, could that mean the included antec case fans are adequately silent at the low speed setting? The secondary computer is completely stable, there would be no benefit of getting Yate Loons with more CFM if noise level remains nearly the same. On the same token, the fan on the back of solo is suspect as well, assuming antec uses same fans across their "performance one" and "sonanta" lineups.

2) Jabtech is about the only etailer I am aware of that sells Yate Loons at decent price other than ebay shops. They carry these "low speed" yate loons; these are supposed to come with resistors built in, so you wont have to undervolt them, correct? I am too cheap to go for a fan controller. Should I be using resistors to undervolt the fans then?

2) As I wrote above, I have replaced the whiny DFI stock northbridge cooler with the vantec. While people over at DIYstreet claim it is supposed to be dead silent, I cannot confirm this due to the residual noise from other sources in my machine. I was thinking of ordering an Evercool VC-RE for my biostar mobo, as the stock fan on it is the weakest link of the entire setup at this point. What do you guys think, is passive the only way to go?

3) I am using both CPU fans at full speed (12V), do you recommend dropping the Yate Loon on the main rig down to 7V? What about the Zalman?

4) Currently, I believe the second biggest source of noise is probably the fans in the PSUs. Seeing how both machines are fine thermal management wise, I was planning on ordering some 80mm Yate Loons to have those swapped out. I have done this before on my other machines, except I was running those fans at 12v which might have not changed things much. Do you think this is a worthwhile investment, and if so, should I undervolt these too?

5) Finally, I am using ATI Tray Tools to auto-overclock the video card. In 3D mode, I run it slightly OC'd at 560/855. For general 2d desktop use, the card is underclocked to 405/522. Fan speed settings are as shown below:
temp/fan speed%
40/0
45/18
50/36
55/50
60/59
65/68
70/82
80/100
Those numbers I am using were purely a shot in the dark and could be less than ideal. As notorious as the stock cooler is for its noise, however, I cant hear it in desktop mode, so would I be correct in assuming that in 2D the fan is effectively turned off? I am not too worried about the card revving up for 3D games, as long as it slows down in a timely manner after returning to desktop. Otherwise, I might be getting an Accelero S1.

Thank you so much in advance, hope you guys have a great day!

Atmosper

Post by Atmosper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 pm

1) The Tri-cool fans included with the Antec cases are not quiet enough on low in my opinion. A Yate-loon or Nexus is much better.

2) Resistors are perfectly fine.

2.2) Passive is definitely the way to go. Even undervolted, those little buggers aren't very quiet.

3) Drop them to 7 V or even 5 V if cooling allows. The Zalman stock fans aren't that great. Only close to acceptable at 5 V.

4) The EarthWatts PSU shouldn't be a big noise source, the Antec SL300 probably could use a fan swap. With Zalman fan-mates, undervolting really is super simple. Just dial down till you can't hear the fan.

Finally, check which fans are the noisiest before you go swapping them. Just stick a pencil or preferrably something softer in the fan to see if the noise changes much.