so, the best CPU fan is NEXUS, what about best heatsink?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

worrywort

so, the best CPU fan is NEXUS, what about best heatsink?

Post by worrywort » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:35 pm

and while wer'e at it, what about best power supply?

only saw you did real comparsion on CPU fans, what about heatsinks
which cools best?

what about power supplies? which is the quietest?

thx.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:11 pm

You must not have looked around very far on the main page. The site is full of reviews of heatsinks, power supplies, and cases as well as fans, and has quite a few reviews of other items as well. Look on the left-hand side of the main page for the full list of sections.

The short answer, though, is this:

Best Fan: Nexus or Scythe S-Flex
Best Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 or Scythe Ninja
Best PSU: Enermax Modu82+

For a more detailed list, as well as links to all the reviews, look here.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Best Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 or Scythe Ninja
Or the Xigmatek HDT-S1283.....

May I draw your attention to the table at the bottom, with the Nexus @ 5v.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article818-page5.html

Who wins.?

Andy

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

Also, the Scythe Slipstream 800RPM is a quieter fan, and slightly more effective than the Nexus:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article805-page5.html

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:34 pm

The thing is - the Ninja can actually FIT in a typical case. It's as attractive as a brick and about the size of one, too. Nothing fancy or glamorous. It just works.

I'd just get the Ninja and stick the Scythe 800 rpm on it. My exhaust fan is louder - that is, when I can hear it at all. The entire system is under 30db.

worrywort

Post by worrywort » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:54 am

well i guess i got a little lost this site isn't best organized.. thanks for redirecting me though.

about Enermax Modu82+, was thermaltake's toughpower qfan 500W
in the comparision? cause i heard he's really quiet

and another thing, best CPU fan is also best case fan? cause i don't know how much air you need on each. i tend to think you need less RPM on a case fan and therefore it can be less noisy.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:26 am

about Enermax Modu82+, was thermaltake's toughpower qfan 500W
in the comparision? cause i heard he's really quiet
If it hasnt been reviewed as being quiet by SPCR, dont take the risk. I doubt it would be anyway, as TT are not known for making quiet products.

Also look at the Pro82+, its an identical PSU less the modularity.

Andy

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 am

After you've been here a while, you'll probably see that there is no "best" anything when it comes to computer parts, and more specifically quiet computer parts.

There are so many variables when considering what parts are "best", that you need to narrow the choices when asking this sort of question. A Ninja won't fit in many cases. A Nexus fan might not blow enough air for a gaming case. There are tons of examples like this. A hot climate might require a completely different setup, as will a dusty location.

So..... take whatever answers you get to a general question like you asked, with a grain of salt. The answer might not be best in your situation. :wink:

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 am

Bluefront wrote:After you've been here a while, you'll probably see that there is no "best" anything when it comes to computer parts, and more specifically quiet computer parts.

There are so many variables when considering what parts are "best", that you need to narrow the choices when asking this sort of question. A Ninja won't fit in many cases. A Nexus fan might not blow enough air for a gaming case. There are tons of examples like this. A hot climate might require a completely different setup, as will a dusty location.

So..... take whatever answers you get to a general question like you asked, with a grain of salt. The answer might not be best in your situation. :wink:
*appluades*

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:32 am

worrywort wrote:I tend to think you need less RPM on a case fan and therefore it can be less noisy.
Generally, I'd think the opposite of this. As long as you only have one exhaust fan, remember it needs to blow enough air to remove the heat from your case. It doesn't matter how hard the CPU fan is working if the heat is all staying in the case; things will still get hot.

And yes, Bluefront is absolutely correct. There really are no simple answers. You should read a few of the articles and hang around the forums for a while, and you'll start to get an idea for what works and what doesn't.