Quiet mouse and Keyboard?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Quiet mouse and Keyboard?

Post by bumthology » Fri May 16, 2008 1:42 am

Can anyone recommend a silent k/board and mouse?
because my computers right next to someone sleeping

snark_be
Friend of SPCR

Post by snark_be » Fri May 16, 2008 1:47 am

The Logitech DiNovo keyboard is pretty quiet.
The keys are similar to a laptop keyboard keys so everyone might not like their "feeling". But it looks like they don't make the original full-size DiNovo keyboards anymore.

Edit: they do but only in a keyboard+mouse combo: Media Desktop Laser. The mouse is nice but not quiet, the buttons make noise when clicked.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri May 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Logitech Ultraflat keyboard is very good and quiet keyboard. Its also good to type with. And costs less than DiNovo and other high end keyboards.

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Fri May 16, 2008 9:58 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modo

Post by Modo » Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 pm

thejamppa wrote:Logitech Ultraflat keyboard [snip]
Or Logitech UltraX, if a full-sized keyboard is preferred.

bigbadsteve

Post by bigbadsteve » Sat May 17, 2008 1:07 am

My Targus keyboard is pretty low noise because of the short (but well-cushioned) key travel, similar to laptops. My particular model is no longer manufactured, but there are similar-looking models at targus dot com.

Keyboard should also of course be good ergonomically; very important, since an unsuitable keyboard or mouse will probably eventually give you carpal tunnel syndrome, which is no fun at all.

If you are like me you will make more noise chuckling in chat rooms etc. than you make with your keyboard or mouse! so might I also suggest some earplugs for your roommate. They are cheap and one soon adjusts to sleeping with a comfortable pair inserted. The sealed-cell foam type can be washed and reused many times and so are inexpensive.

Licaon
Friend of SPCR

Post by Licaon » Sat May 17, 2008 2:30 pm

i just returned a Logitech UltraFlat as i can't work on that small layout, but to replace it i've ordered an UltraflatX that's coming on monday

also checkout these threads:
Quieting a PC, and SPCR... in a nutshell it has special keyboard/mouse sections
Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard?

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 am

wow cheers for that
will definitely look into it
I mean whats a quiet pc without a quiet k/b and mouse

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 am

You type right next to a sleeping persons head? Either its a bit cramped in your household or your just trying to be cruel. :lol:

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun May 18, 2008 12:12 pm

bumthology wrote:I mean whats a quiet pc without a quiet k/b and mouse
Several things:

a) something that can run while I'm sleeping in the same room
b) something that can run while I'm listening to music it plays
c) something that can run while I'm watching a movie it plays
d) something that can run while I'm doing something else and check back on it occassionally

You only hear the mouse and keyboard when you're interacting with them, and I personally am not that bothered by the sound. You hear the computer whenever you're in the room...

Licaon
Friend of SPCR

Post by Licaon » Sun May 18, 2008 12:52 pm

i have two Chicony KB-9810 on my systems ( black/silver and white ) and i love to use them, but even in the day time the "typing on concrete" sound is obvious :(

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am

qviri wrote:You only hear the mouse and keyboard when you're interacting with them, and I personally am not that bothered by the sound.
Read between the lines, it's not bumthology that's bothered by his keyboard and mouse clicks. It's his gf/wife/mother. ;)

I had a girlfriend that used to complain all the time about my typing noise. And my computer wasn't even in the bedroom... Back then I was using Logitech Internet Navigator, which frankly sounded like a typewriter compared to diNovo. It was ok at first, but with time it became noisy. I pre-ordered diNovo Laser 2,5 years ago and I have to say that it's still most silent keyboard I have ever used. I haven't tested UltraX or UltraFlat side by side with diNovo, but every time I go to a computer store I test these keyboards and imo, they aren't quite at the same level as diNovo. They have a bit hollower sound to them. These keyboards just aren't as sturdy and heavy as diNovo, but they sure are a lot cheaper, so I guess they are a good budget choice.

The MX1000 mouse isn't that impressive, it has loud sharp clicks, but they aren't that annoying. The most annoying thing about MX1000 is the mouse wheel. It sounds hollow and cheap. Especially compared some Microsoft mouses with totally silent wheels.

Apple Keyboards are also really nice. Especially the Ultra Thin model. You could probably remap the missing windows keys with http://www.autohotkey.com/ (excellent program, worth downloading anyway). But I haven't really tried it, so can't say for sure, if it is would work with 100% certainty. Go test one in your local Mac shop.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Thu May 22, 2008 11:35 am

That Apple keyboard reminded me of this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13910 ... ticle.html

Nasty in the extreme.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu May 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Erssa wrote:I pre-ordered diNovo Laser 2,5 years ago and I have to say that it's still most silent keyboard I have ever used. I haven't tested UltraX or UltraFlat side by side with diNovo, but every time I go to a computer store I test these keyboards and imo, they aren't quite at the same level as diNovo.
Well, I have one of the diNovo-for-laptops keyboards, which I've been using for nearly two years now on my main PC. I have intention of changing it, one the contrary I'm thinking of buying a spare in case it ever breaks :) It's the best keyboard I've used since the one which came with the SPARCstations in the early 90's. I don't use the mouse that came with it though -- I don't like wireless mice they're too massive with the batteries in them.

I have one of the UltraX's and several UltraFlats. The diNovo is by far the better keyboard. The UltraX is too clacky, the UltraFlats too springy. The diNovo cost six times as much as the UltraFlats and it's worth every penny.

That's my view.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu May 22, 2008 11:41 pm

Plekto wrote:That Apple keyboard reminded me of this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13910 ... ticle.html

Nasty in the extreme.
Good link :) ... On p3 (Timex Sinclair 2068) it states "Just to rub it all in, the unit had no Backspace key". Ah, but it did. Trouble is, on all Sinclair derivatives it was called "Delete". It was actually a delete key that was missing. This caused me no end of frustration when I moved up to "real" computers from my trusty Spectrum.

Bringing it back on topic: one thing the rubber keyboards did have in their favour was silence (unless you count the frequent cursing that went along with them).

Ven

Post by Ven » Mon May 26, 2008 12:40 am

Personally I use MS Comfort Curve 2000 in my office. It's not noiseless but in general it's pretty quiet, a little curved and very comfortable in general (but not as much as MS Natural 4000 which I use at home, noisy one). It's like a blend between ergo split keyboard and laptop ones with standard layout (page up, down, etc). OEM version is very cheap. However it's got one serious drawback - "space" key is much louder than the rest of the keys, so I'd suggest you checked it out before buying. A friend of mine should show his Logitech Wave to me today, so I'll tell how it performs.

snark_be
Friend of SPCR

Post by snark_be » Mon May 26, 2008 12:46 am

I have the Logitech Wave. It's pretty quiet but not silent.

TheRac25

Post by TheRac25 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:24 am

for keyboard you could try somthing like the spillproof silicone types

mouse i dunno perhaps a track pad that has tap for click

TheRac25

Post by TheRac25 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:30 am

kel

Post by kel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:22 am

I can recommend the apple alu keyboard - a lot quieter than any "normal" keyboard and an real pleasure to type on, basically it's like typing on a very high quality laptop keyboard (think macbook pro or ibm thinkpad) but with nicely spaced out keys. Takes a few days to get used to, but now I definetly wouldn't want to go back to a "regular" keyboard.
Go to an apple shop and try it out there first and see for yourself wether it works for you or not :-)

Been using one since late last year without any probs, works perfectly in windows and linux (you don't even need to remap any keys, it just works - apple key = windows key).

steve0

Post by steve0 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 am

silent k/board and mouse? Sound great ,but i haven't it !