Need help lowering noise of a new PC

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Subterfuge

Need help lowering noise of a new PC

Post by Subterfuge » Wed May 28, 2008 11:58 am

I bought a new PC recently and while the noise isn't really loud, it is a bit too loud compared to what I'd like it to be. My system is as follows:

Case : Antec P182 (with the original tri-cool fans at the lowest speed setting)
Motherboard: Asus P5E iX38 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 5PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Firewire Socket775 ATX
CPU: Q9450 2.66Ghz 12MB FSB1333
CPU Cooler : Scythe Ninja PLUS Rev B
GPU: ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR2 800Mhz
PSU: Corsair HX 620
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32B cache

I'm not really knowledgeable about this, or what is actually causing that extra noise. Case Fans? CPU cooler? Anyway, that's why I'm here. I need to know how to lower the RPM's, whether I lower voltages somehow or download some software or what not. By the way, I haven't and will not overclock anything. So, any help is appreciated!

Licaon
Friend of SPCR

Post by Licaon » Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 pm

Antec TriCool ain't that silent even at a low setting, a Nexus 120mm undervolted , or a Scythe 800rpm will be better

do you have any cooler on the Ninja? the default fan for Rev. B still is a bit noisy even at 750 rpm, but it sound fine

the 3870 has an active cooling system?

the harddrives are mounted using the soft thingies that come with the drive cages? you could try a suspension in that cage... the Storage subforum has such a thread

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Wed May 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Based on your setup, here are your noisemakers: (in no particular order)
- Seagate HDDs
- 3870 cooler
- Antec Tri-Cools
- Ninja Fan

I'd say the fan on the Ninja is OK for now. Seagates have a reputation for high idle noise and high pitched seeks. The Tri-Cools aren't quiet, even on low. Scythe Slipstreams are one of the best fans you can buy right now. (1200rpm or 800rpm) Finally the 3870's fan has poor acoustical properties. You can replace the whole fan and heatsink with an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1.

Give this a read. Hope this helps.