Newb CPU fan Question

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

innominate

Newb CPU fan Question

Post by innominate » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:26 pm

So I read the FAQ post about identifying the noisiest fans. I found my case fan and cpu fan to be the noisiest and would like to replace both. They are both 80mm fans, so my first though was to get 2 Nexus 80mm Real Silent Case Fans.

The problem is I don't know if its a good idea to replace the fan on my cpu with a case fan. The cpu fan is getting its power channeled through the motherboard instead of right from the PSU. So Im thinking the mobo might be controlling the fan speed with that or have some knida safety thing to cut the power if power stops going to the fan.

Is there a version of this fan that draws power from the mobo connector (3 pin)? Or is it safe to put it on there and have it just draw power from the PSU?

Thanks
Nate

I put this in the newb form b/c it seems like a real trivial question but if it really belongs in the cpu form feel free to move it.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm

If i remember correctly the Nexus comes with both a 3-pin and a 4-pin connector so you can connect it to the motherboard or directly to the power supply. Fan control on motherboards differ, but if it's a somewhat recent boards it's safe to assume that the motherboard has the ability to control the CPU fan speed based on temperature, it might also be adjustable in the BIOS.

If you connect it to the PSU directly it would be fed 12V as standard, though it is possible to modify the connector to get 5V or 7V to it, but either way it would always run at a constant speed and not be controlled by the motherboard. Which is fine when it provides adequate cooling at a constant speed and is quiet enough not to add to the total noise of the system.

If you could give us some more detailed information about what your components are and what heatsinks you have on them it would be easier to determine if the nexus fans are adequate in terms of airflow.

Fans used in cases and on heatsinks are the same fans, basically.

innominate

Post by innominate » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 pm

thanks for your help.

The processor is an AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+

this is the mobo: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Products/Mother ... uctID=1914

The current heat sink is http://www.cwc-group.com/amdopso939he.html That site does not have much description. It has about 4cm * 8cm * 8cm of heat-sink-metal. That site also says its got a 2.25 inch (=57mm) fan but i measured it, it is defiantly 8cm.

The other fan in the case is on the GPU its not that loud but as the fans are fairly inexpensive i think i will get a new one for it as well. It is odd though when i took the fan off there did not appear to be a heat sink below it. The fan itself might be made of metal i cant tell for sure it felt kinda plasticly to me. Also there is a heat sink beside it (on the video memory i think). There is also thermal past between the gpu and the (fan/heatsink?). That fan is 6cm. Here is the video card: http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/ ... l?hhTest=1

Thanks again for the help.
Nate

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:29 am

Hi,
The pic of the GPU is small.... but I don't think you can just replace the stock fan on this card... I'd say the fan you have on it is one of those slim fans and not the standard kind (standard height is 25mm)... If it is the case, you might have to get another whole heatsink for it if you want to really quiet it down.
Did you try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website ? Sometimes, they change the fan control method and that quiets down the fan a bit.

innominate

Post by innominate » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

I'm using ubuntu so I don't think there divers will help. It looks like that card comes in a version with just a heatsink: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.a ... &family=22 so it should be possible to just replace the fan with a heat sink (I guess). Anyone know of a good heatsink for this card? Im not looking to spend to much so something <20$ is preferred.

Also I have confirmed that the Nexus does come with a 3pin connector.

innominate

Post by innominate » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:52 pm

hmm pretty sure XIONGYAN is a spam bot