any word on this PSU? Modification of one reviewed by SPCR

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DaRuSsIaMaN

any word on this PSU? Modification of one reviewed by SPCR

Post by DaRuSsIaMaN » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Hey everyone, my first post here. I'm really happy that I found this site and your quantitative reviews specifically for noise level of PSUs. Thanks!

Anyway, you have the Seasonic M12II-430 listed on your "Recommended" list. I see that Seasonic has released a slightly upgraded version of that: the 430B. (won't let me link) It is now Bronze certified rather than plain 80 Plus (which is cool). Any ideas if maybe it performs better in terms of noise than how the original model performed? I would link to the chart in your VX450 review but it won't let me. I'm basically debating now between that one and the Corsair VX450. The Corsair wins in terms of noise over the original but maybe this version is better? I also like the higher efficiency of the 430B...

Also, how do I figure out how much wattage I will actually be drawing during "ordinary" tasks like online browsing or typing up an essay or whatever. That's what I'm principally concerned about. Obviously, if it gets loud during gaming, I don't really care since I'll have sound blasting from speakers anyway.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my computer I'm planning to use it for will be an older one: Athlon XP 2500+ (possibly will OC later), radeon x800 xl, 1.5 GB ram, 1 TB HD probly, ehh and sound card, that's pretty much it I think.

Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Welcome to SPCR,

Almost every Seasonic PSU is very quiet -- they seem to have figured out a while back how to make their fan controllers work well in this regard. The better efficiency will make it easier to cool, so the newer unit probably is as quiet or more quiet than the older unit.

I'll bet your proposed system will use ~160watts peak AC -- so the DC side is less than that, and you won't be pushing the 430watt PSU even a little bit... Check the "How Much Will a 300 Watt PSU Run..." thread if you need more reassurance.

DaRuSsIaMaN

Post by DaRuSsIaMaN » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm

Aw crap maybe I should've gotten the enermax eco80+ 400W instead... It's way quieter!!

Why didn't it or the 500W version make your recommended list?