Advice on Antec ISK 300-150, core i3, Zotac H55-ITX build?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:58 am

stefancrs wrote:
ces wrote:
stefancrs wrote:Well, it seems the Scythe S-Flex and Karma Flex series are fairly unavailable in Gothenburg (and I don't want to order them online), so nevermind that.

I do however think I have a fan controller in my HTPC to spare, it's mounted in a full-height slot but can probably be modded somehow, if I need it.

For now, it seems the Noctua NF-R8 is the best option available to me.

BTW, on the Zotac H55 board the lowest CPU fan speed (stock cooler) seems to be around 900rpm (I don't remember exactly).
If that turns out to be not enough, you can always get the Noctua 92mm fan and use it with a 92mm to 80mm adapter in the place of an 80mm fan.
You think it will have a lower airflow than the stock Antec one at its low setting? That's what I'm using now.
I don't know. I would expect the Antec 80mm to have a fairly wide range of speed and cfm between its high and low setting. So I would expect that it would be good for determining how much CFM you want and need.

But once you determine that, I would think you would want to replace it with a fan that can deliver the CFM you have determined that you need, but do so with a lot less noise.

stefancrs

Post by stefancrs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 am

Antec has the following specifications for the TriCool fan on the ISK 300-65:
Low:
1500 RPM
20 CFM
18.05 dBA

Medium:
2000 RPM
26 CFM
24.3 dBA

High:
2600 RPM
34 CFM
30 dBA

And I'm currently running it on low, otoh, with a more silent fan, I expect that the CPU fan will start to annoy me instead :)

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:48 am

stefancrs wrote:And I'm currently running it on low, otoh, with a more silent fan, I expect that the CPU fan will start to annoy me instead :)
On low, is the Antec CFM and noise level acceptable to you? If so, why fix something that isn't broke.

If not, consider the Scythe S flex as an upgrade - likely getting a bit more CFM with a bit less noise.

stefancrs

Post by stefancrs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:15 am

ces wrote:
stefancrs wrote:And I'm currently running it on low, otoh, with a more silent fan, I expect that the CPU fan will start to annoy me instead :)
On low, is the Antec CFM and noise level acceptable to you? If so, why fix something that isn't broke.

If not, consider the Scythe S flex as an upgrade - likely getting a bit more CFM with a bit less noise.
Well no, I want to get the noise level down. Not sure how much good comparing manufacturer specs actually is though :)

I mean, the Noctua is speced 800-1800 RPM, 15.3-31.2 CFM and 7-17 dBA depending on which voltage adapter you run it on. If I'd run it on medium speed (using the L.N.A adapter) it'd be specced at 23 CFM @ 10 dBA, and I'm not sure how "true" these numbers are :)

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 am

stefancrs wrote:Not sure how much good comparing manufacturer specs actually is though
Yes. The CFM retes are a starting point (Db specs are totally useless).

But you really just have to buy them and test. If noise (as opposed to noise / CFM) is your primary concern, seems like starting with the Noctua is a good bet. If CFM is an equal concern, I would start with a 1500 rpm s-flex.

stefancrs

Post by stefancrs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 am

Idle CPU temp at about 30 degrees, idle system power consumtion about 28W. Using Noctua NF-R8 with U.L.N.A adapter and stock CPU fan in thermal cruise mode, about 1050 RPM (lowest it will go in manual mode as well, it'll go up if temp is above 55 degrees).

Stress-testing with Prime95 brings up CPU fan speed (but keeps system safe) and system power consumtion to about 88W which maybe isn't that good? :)

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am

stefancrs wrote:Idle CPU temp at about 30 degrees, idle system power consumtion about 28W. Using Noctua NF-R8 with U.L.N.A adapter and stock CPU fan in thermal cruise mode, about 1050 RPM (lowest it will go in manual mode as well, it'll go up if temp is above 55 degrees).

Stress-testing with Prime95 brings up CPU fan speed (but keeps system safe) and system power consumtion to about 88W which maybe isn't that good? :)
Sounds like you don't have any temp issues. Just noise.

stefancrs

Post by stefancrs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Should I be concerned about the 88-89W reading I get for total system consumtion under 100% load, given that the PSU is a 65W one?

Regarding the noise when system isn't under load, I think I could probably just mount the computer hanging under the desk on a couple of straps to make it inaudible by now. Not sure.

Otherwise I think the next logical step would be to change the CPU cooler. I think a big shuriken should fit? Is it good?

I haven't been able to measure GPU temp etc, speedfan isn't picking up the sensors on the Zotac H55 it would seem. Any tips?

stefancrs

Re: Advice on Antec ISK 300-150, core i3, Zotac H55-ITX buil

Post by stefancrs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:50 pm

I used the 65, but the 150 would of course be fine too.