Irregular "buzzing" sound with unknown origin!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sam820921

Irregular "buzzing" sound with unknown origin!

Post by sam820921 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm having a problem as stated above.

I just bought a self made stationary compute (so everything is new). Every since I started using the computer It makes a significant sound "buzzing".
The problem is where does it come from?

Excluded sources:
Harddrive: I don't have a mechanical hard drive, or rather I haven't installed them yet. So for now, im going with SSD. They should be completely silent shouldn't they?
FAN: I have 3 fans in the case (CPU; GPU; PSU). I have stopped the fans (with my finger) and still the sound goes on. And also the "buzzing" is not a typical fan sound. My fans are 120mm and 140mm and their sound is more "deep". And the fans are very quite so no disturbance there.
PSU: I'm thinking the sound problem might be from here but the origin seems to be "down in the right corner of the case", while the PSU is in the upper left corner (know what I mean)? The down right corner would be where the SSD is, but even though the origin is not "that specific".

Also the "buzzing" is related to computer load. When i install software, using it for surfing, even browsing the page it becomes wave like (higher). When the computer is idle the buzzing is constant (lower).

So what do do? What more to say?
If the hardware configuration is important to know, just tell me.

Thanx

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Irregular "buzzing" sound with unknown origin!

Post by frenchie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Graphics card maybe ?

cordis

Post by cordis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Probably the graphics card, might be the motherboard or the PSU, but usually it's the gpu. Especially if it's load dependent. :(

sam820921

Post by sam820921 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Well. What can I do about it? more importantly how can I test the mentioned components? I have had several computers and never heard similar buzz sound. Is this a common issue with high end graphic cards? Its a gtx 460. I have pretty much ruled out the psu as a source because the soundorigin is not "from there". Besjt regards sam

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:51 pm

You could try another video card.
I think read somewhere that updating the drivers can fix this issue. Try that too.

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 am

If it's the graphics card, turning V-Sync on can help. It's an easy thing to try, just look in the video driver settings.

guermantes

Post by guermantes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:03 am

Maybe I should stay away from this thread because I am only speculating, but could it not be the SSD after all? When you say buzzing I think of the sound that comes for instance from RAM memories or even electric cables outdoors. That kind of electric current buzz, you know? Like when Arnold Schwarzenegger lands on Earth in that static electrical storm in Terminator 2. :)
And if it's in the right region inside that case and is related to load...
But those are just two cents, maybe you can't buy much with them...
/g

burlap

Post by burlap » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 am

Check the surge protector too (if you have one). It's outside the case obviously, but I guess it might be quite close to the "down corner" of the case. At least my surge protector is buzzing sometimes (update is planned, but for now the PSU and CPU cooler make so much noise that I don't care).

sam820921

Re: Irregular "buzzing" sound with unknown origin PROBLEM SO

Post by sam820921 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks everybody for response and sorry for the delayed answer. I thought the thread was dead do to the absence of mail confirmation.

Anyhow the PROBLEM IS SOLVED. 8)

I used my stethoscope and pinpointed the problem.
Clearly from the PSU (a shitty one that was included with the case, a "no name" brand).
The reason I though the origin was "in the down right corner" was because of sound circulation. Quite difficult to know the origin by ear. With the stethoscope it went like a smack. Quite funny sound too and very discernable. A friend recommended stethoscope and the idea made me laugh. He was serious and said that mechanics use it for car malfunction troubleshooting?

Anyhow, thanks everyone.
A new PSU is ordered. Im going for Corsair TX 850W PSU. Pros, cons? Whats your opinion.

Out of curiosity I also listened to the other components.
CPU: Almost soundless. 120mm fan with big cooler (scythe mugen) so no surprise there. In desktop mode the fan is turned of (steady 50 C). During gameplay maxed out RPM, but doesnt make a difference because of game sound.
SSD: Completely silent (also expected)
GPU: a bit noisy (not audible with ear). But its fan related (stock cooler with small fan). A upgrade to a nice arctic cooler for the gtx 460 is expected.

Best regards

Sam

cordis

Post by cordis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Good idea, I'll have to pick up a stethoscope sometime. Anyway, glad to hear you figured it out, I think I have a big corsair psu in one of my boxes. You should be fine with your replacement, it's probably way over the power you really need, so the fan should stay low, and the parts probably won't be strained too much. My most power hungry machine (i7 980x, dual gtx 460s) at high load (folding) just barely breaks 500W at the outlet.

sam820921

Post by sam820921 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:40 am

Ok. Now the next step is to choose an appropriate PSU.

I have found a few ones but need your expertise in which one to choose.

Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000W
Zalman ZM600-HP 600W
OCZ PSU 550W Fatal1ty
Cooler Master GX 650w
ZALMAN 850W-HP SILENT

Price is not a issue here because the difference is just a 20 dollars or so (150 swedish kronor). But I don't want to pay for overkill.
I have a quad 3.0 ghz /quad processor.
ONE piece of gtx460.

1 SSD and 1 TB harddrive.

Which one is recommended. I believe one should not only stare on power output put also stability, sound, quality etc.

Which one to choose.

Best Regards

Sam
Sweden