first post, seeking advice

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dfn

first post, seeking advice

Post by dfn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:57 pm

I just signed up after visiting this site numerous times.
Great site, kept coming back to read and re-read various reviews. I really like the attention paid to detail, and the reviews are very thorough.

The reason I'm posting now is because my basement reminds me of an airport.

In one room, I have my HTPC and EP4000 (an amp). For those that have not heard it, the fan on the EP4000 sounds like a plane is taking off. The HTPC is in a Silverstone SG02 case, and the blue LED is super-bright, marking the runway for the EP4000.

In an attached room is my desktop PC. It is in a Cosmos S case, with a 4870x2. Here we have another jet engine. What makes things worse, is the fact that the case sits on TOP of my desk, next to the monitor, so my ears get to really enjoy the turbines.

Home Theatre room: when watching TV on very low volume, with the EP4000 off, I can hear my HTPC slightly, and I'd like to change that. If the EP4000 is on, no way can I hear my HTPC. Also, sometimes in quiet parts of movies, I can hear BOTH the EP4000 AND my Cosmos S case from the attached room.

The attached area has a weird acoustic effect - when I'm not close to my Cosmos S case, I can hear a very faint sound, sort of like a washing machine in the distance - when I'm next to it, I can't hear that sound at all. In both cases, it is loud.

Note that the home theatre space and attached room are not seperated by any doors or walls.

Here are my goals:
1) to NOT hear the EP4000 & desktop PC while watching movies and a quiet part comes up
2) to NOT hear my HTPC when watching TV on really low volume

I know that the EP4000 is basically out of scope for these forums, and I only mentioned it to describe my situation accurately. I plan on replacing the fan in it soon.

The desktop PC (Cosmos S case) has the following components with fans:
intel i7 965
sapphire 4870x2
corsair tx850w
case fans
All items are stock, never modified.

The HTPC contains the following components with fans:
intel i3 530
nexus value 430 (thank you SPCR!)
case fans
All items are stock, never modified.

The ambient room temperature is in the low 20s (celsius). Aside from the noises I described, the fireplace is the only other source of noise. I don't know what the noise level is, but hopefully I've provided enough details.

For the desktop PC, what would you suggest changing first? My thought was the 4870x2, because it sounds the loudest to me. However, are there any other options for it other than the Accelero XTREME? Water cooling is not an option for me, because I don't want to invest that much money in this.

For the HTPC, would switching the one 80mm case fan solve my issues? Or should I switch the stock i3 530 cooler as well? The SG02 case is weird, because the PSU fan is right ABOVE the CPU heatsink fan - is it worthwhile attempting a totally passive solution for the CPU and utilizing the PSU fan to suck the air above the CPU?

I'd appreciate help and suggestions on where to start to achieve my goals. The Cosmos S case doesn't need to be nearly as silent as the HTPC - I just don't want to hear it from the other room when I'm enjoying a movie.
TIA!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:41 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Have you looked at the various quiet video card coolers? This is not my forte, but I think you can cool almost any video car with a quiet fan; or even passively.

On the HTPC, you may have to do some modifications, like cutting out the fan grills. Restrictive air flow is one of the main problems, that prevents both cooler temps and quieter operation.

dfn

Post by dfn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks.

I have not looked at various video card coolers because I can't find any that were intended for x2 cards, aside from the Accelero.

For the HTPC, are you suggesting I look at unrestricting airflow before replacing the case or CPU fans?