Hi there! long time lurker, first time poster

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

conan_the_librarian

Hi there! long time lurker, first time poster

Post by conan_the_librarian » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:35 pm

I've been reading this site since about 2005 or earlier, but this is the first time I've posted because I have an idea for SPCR and want to make a topic. Need to post 3 times first though, this is one of them.

Am a proud owner of a P182 and a P183. The builds:

P182 (the house computer)
Silverstone ST-20NF (I think that's it, whichever one is about 200W, passive and has an unfortunate 20W draw when it's turned off.)
AMD 4850e
scythe ninja
780G motherboard
9400GT passive video card for easy linux compatibility

P183 (megabeast workstation)
Seasonic X-650
Xeon X3450 (basically an i-750 with hyperthreading)
Megahalems Heat Sink
Noctua NF-S12B ULN for top exhaust (selected so as to put a ball bearing fan in the horizontal position for longevity)
Scythe DFS-122512L-PWM fan in pull config on megahalems. I know it's a sleeve fan in horizontal position, but it was the best fan I could find that was PWM to suit the motherboard. This fan is also on the upper fan position on the front of the case.
Two passively cooled Nvidia GT210 (MSI N210) to provide 4 1920x1200 monitors with video. These get too hot so there is a scythe fan that is duct taped next to both of them. Not sure what it is, would have to turn the machine off.
Asus P7F-E motherboard with the Asus MIO-888 sound card (necessary to have sound), the mobo has several PWM fan outlets, which is nice.
Another fan, not sure which, on the bottom to provide enough air for the HDDs. It's not PWM, so that the HDDs have enough air to cool them all the time.

The megabeast is happy to sit on my desk it is so quiet. Sitting on the desk, it gets less dust entering the system. The house PC gets very dusty as it sits on the floor. I should elevate it. Both are very quiet.

That's about all that is relevant sound-wise. I'm running Linux and BSD, no MS anywhere.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:30 am

Hi and welcome to SPCR :D

newguy2010

Post by newguy2010 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:53 am

Hi!