PC winding up and down

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

clamsauce

PC winding up and down

Post by clamsauce » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:27 am

Hi all.

I made the mistake of buying a brand pc, an Acer. Some brand pcs are rather quiet, at least quite enough for me, however in this case it was quite a bit louder than I expected.. the everyday noise volume is ok, I can live with it... however at times its winds up and down... it goes from say a noise of 5 to a noise of 7 (on a 10 grade scale) and then after a while it goes back to 5.

I've no idea why it does this. Is there something I can try as far as using software, changing the fans with a software program like Speedfan or other?

The temperature according to Speedfan is:

GPU 65degrees
temp1 64c
temp2 -78
temp3 -78
core 53

cpu usage 36%

this is not a gaming pc. your average office pc is more like it. ive tried to silent it by putting it on a shelf with glass doors but when i close the doors its get too hot and it sounds even more... so that didnt help.

thanks for any advice!

quest_for_silence

Re: PC winding up and down

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:20 am

clamsauce wrote:thanks for any advice!

You have given no data about that PC, which advice might we offer?

However, are you able to configure SpeedFan?

clamsauce

Post by clamsauce » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am

Hello the hardware is:

AMD Athlon X3
1TB HD
4gb ram
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9200

clamsauce

Post by clamsauce » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:25 pm

ive managed to fix the problem.

since the pc was noisy i thought i put it in a case with glass doors, turns out that just made things worse. so with the pc in the open it got quieter and of course much cooler... i then found a post on here that makes speedfan work and now the fan is 1073rpm instead of close to 1500 and that makes a whole lot of difference... it's now more quiet than it ever been.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:53 pm

clamsauce wrote:i then found a post on here that makes speedfan work and now the fan is 1073rpm instead of close to 1500 and that makes a whole lot of difference... it's now more quiet than it ever been.

So I mean you've found the "Advanced" tab, and was able to actually configure the "Temperatures" and "Speeds" tabs.

Then I guess you can furtherly tweak those settings in order to get lower noise (even if for the AMD stock cooler actual revolutions seem already low).

Or, if you are able to do so, you can give a look inside the case in order to see if you may swap the cpu fan, or even the whole heatsink (always to get further lower noise from it).