First time poster...

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MiaKica

First time poster...

Post by MiaKica » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, hello everybody...
I have been around this site for a long time, did a lot of reading and learned a thing or two from people here.

My first build is
Antec P193 Case (used to be a Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Full Tower, just too noisy for me...)
Asus P7P55D-E Motherboard
Intel Core i7 870 Quad-Core 2.93Ghz
OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition 8GB
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller
Antec CP-1000 PSU (Used to be a Corsair GX750 PSU, same thing as with a case...too noisy)
ATI Radeon 5750 PCI-E video card
Pinnacle Studio Movie Board Capture Card
6 internal hard drives + 4 external formatted as a JBOD in a Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 4 bay case (8GB total) and two 2GB drives in a D-link DNS323 NAS
LG BluRay DVD ROM
LG DVD Burner
2 - 22" monitors (Samsung 2243 and Samsung 2253lw)
Canon ImageClass MF4370dn and Brother 795cw
Microsoft Life Cam Cinema 720p
Speakers - Logitech Z5500 5.1
I switched to Antec case since I had a Sonata and I still have a P183, and both of them are really quiet..

My newest HTPC is based on a Mini ITX board. Used to have a Antec MicroFusion Remote 350 case with Asus P5Q Deluxe, and it really stood out from all the other stuff I have, since it was silver, and I couldn't find a black one locally. Lots of black ones online, but at the time, shipping to Canada would cost as much as a case, so no joy there...
My new HTPC is
Antec ISK 300-65 case
Asus AT510NT-I Motherboard
4GB Mushkin RAM
Corsair 60GB SSD
Samsung slim DVD
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q USB TV Tuner

It was a pain to get it working, due to RAM incompatibility with Asus board. Even know that Mushkin RAM is on Asus QVL, they don't tell you that it is only compatible with a new BIOS...In order to upgrade the BIOS, I had to get a Kingston KVR800D3S8S6/2G, which is the only thing that works with this MB...And its not on their QVL?!?!?!
Right now, I have a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Socket 1156 motherboard with a Intel G6950 CPU and 4GB of RAM. I am not sure that my Antec ISK300-65 will provide enough power to run it...Intel site shows me that CPU will draw a maximum of 73W under a full load, and PS on the case is 65W...I couldn't find info on Gigabyte site on how much power the MB will draw...i would appreciate if someone here knows if this setup will work. I will probably get rid of a DVD drive all together, since I haven't watched one yet, so, no power issues there

Third, and final, what I would consider a silent PC is my netbook, or ultra portable laptop...
It doesn't fit in either category since it is 11.6", too small for a conventional laptop, and it has a Intel Core 2 CPU at 1.4 GHz instead of an Atom, so its not a netbook...
Gateway EC1803h...Really nice little machine, plays 1080 without a glitch, and its even faster and better since i slapped a OCZ 64GB SSD in it. I actually decided to get it based on a review here...http://www.silentpcreview.com/Gateway_EC1803h_notebook

There is 3 more laptops and 3 more desktops in my house, but I wouldn't consider them a silent PC by any means...

Anyway, that is it for now, and, like I said...if anyone knows the answer about my HTPC setup, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
MiaKica