Silent cooler videocard GTX 9800

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dikken

Silent cooler videocard GTX 9800

Post by dikken » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 am

Hi all,

Question to all who are working in silence :)

I have an already quiet pc consisting of a Cooler Master Sileo case with (2) stock fans and + (1) fan for processor and (1) fan for videocard.
Now recently the fan on my videocard stopped spinning - its the inno3d GTX 9800 (link to review)
As a 'quick' solution i just bought a quiet fan , dismanteled the old one and mounted the new one on top of the cooling fin.
The one i bought was the Noctua NF-B9
I know this is not the best solution and right now the thing that makes the most sound is actually the Noctua fan.

What i want to know is... which fan/cooler is the best for my video card as i want to replace the entire cooler.
But it needs to be VERY quiet too as i can actually hear the Noctua - even though they said its already very quiet.

I have seen the Deepcool v4000 before but i am hesitent to buy it as i want to know my options first.

Thanks in advance

Fire-Flare

Re: Silent cooler videocard GTX 9800

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 am

I've had excellent experiences with Arctic Cooling's VGA coolers. I'm currently using their Xtreme Pro on my 6870 and it idles silently at 38c.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga.html

I recommend the Twin Turbo Pro, it's compatible with GTX 9800s.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 am

Welcome to SPCR !!

Try a bigger fan on your existing cooler, a 92mm would be my first choice, slowed down to 9V.. Otherwise, a regular Accelero S1 with a 92mm or 120mm fan (slowed down of course) should be enough for your card (Nexus or scythe fans are higly regarded around here).

dikken

Post by dikken » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Thank you all for your replies :) Much appreciated

I did see the Accelero before and being fanless does give me more 'options' to put some different coolers on it - like the 92mm as suggested
The Accelero Twin Turbo looks nice too but the 2 fans on it seems to be loud although this could be psychological haha

With my current setup i have attached the Noctua fan to the motherboard instead of the videocard as the pins were incorrect, and with HWMonitor is shows that in idle it already turns about 1800rpm and at fullspeed its about 2200 rpm.... quite high!
Would modifying the cable/pin to be attached to the videocard make any difference to these speeds?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 am

dikken wrote:But it needs to be VERY quiet too as i can actually hear the Noctua - even though they said its already very quiet/
All you should need is a fan controller for the Noctua fan. The Zalman Fanmate should do the job on the cheap. :)

wouterr5

Post by wouterr5 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:55 am

Did you already try the enclosed ULNA adapter? If so, did it help much?

dikken

Post by dikken » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:02 pm

wouterr5 wrote:Did you already try the enclosed ULNA adapter? If so, did it help much?
I did try it and even though its quieter and cooling, i'm going to replace the cooler on the videocard entirely as it does not dissipate heat fast enough when fully stressed

bsh

Post by bsh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 am

Another vote for the Twin Turbo. I had the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo (the plain one, not the "pro" version) on a 9800GT OC. It was dead silent.