server case for Home PC

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

samsp99

server case for Home PC

Post by samsp99 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:59 pm

I've been updating my machine, and looking at the airflow in my current case (p180) it doesn't seem to be ideal for getting the heat away from the graphics card. I'm looking to upgrade to a 560 Ti in the near future which runs quite hot.

I prefer my cases to be understated, without flashing fans, a window in the side etc, and preferably without a side fan either. From a noise perspective, I would imagine having a straight through airflow from the front to the back would be ideal - something like the antec 300 I use for my HomeServer, but a bit more solid and less tinny.

A newegg spam mail just featured a rosewill server case, which is a bit big, but got me thinking - how about using something like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147155
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... rue&Page=2

As a case for a mainstream PC. The pro's that I can see are:
* Airflow is front to back
* Visually simple case aesthetics
* solid construction
* good price

What am I missing?

Fire-Flare

Re: server case for Home PC

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112235

I can't comment on its construction, but with enough 5.25 drives to mount a 120mm fan adapter and mesh covers you can have 2 intake fans on the front.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 am

Remember that server cases are not usually ideal for moving air quietly. The only reason they keep cool is they usually use a lot of high-speed fans.

There are many cases that will keep you equipment cool. The Lian-Li recommended by the previous poster is ok, though I don't like the sideways oriented HDD cage. The Antec 300 is similar in design but with a straight-through approach. It needs mass-loading on the side panels to reduce vibrations and the intake on the side will need to be blocked somehow.

But it's a good, little case...

fumino

Post by fumino » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 am

samsp99 wrote:....What am I missing?
jhhoffma wrote:Remember that server cases are not usually ideal for moving air quietly. The only reason they keep cool is they usually use a lot of high-speed fans...
fan swap might be needed. i'd suggest grabbing some rubber or silicone case feet for it if you won't be rack mounting it. probably some massing for the side panels, a bit of foam. cable routing stuff like zip tie mounts, etc...

looking at the two cases op posted, i'd say that they both have benefits. the cheaper one looks identical, but without the included cost of the 3 middle fans. the more expensive one is what i would pick though. that second bar(the middle fan bracket) could help cutting down on side panel vibrations with a bit of foam on top of it. also, i'd think that running only the interior fans instead of having the front panel fans going would be quieter.