number crunching .. quietly ..

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gongli

number crunching .. quietly ..

Post by gongli » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:36 pm

hi everyone

ive been looking at this forum for a couple of weeks, and i am hoping to build a machine for the 1st time. i want to be able to use it for number crunching, so id like to have sandy bridge (hopefully i7 but i can do i5) but no need for a graphics card. and im on a budget, so im looking for the cheapest decent build that will give me:
  • 1. sandy bridge (is the stock fan too loud, if so what is a budget alternative?)
    2. 2-4Gb
    3. 2x 1Tb drives + whatever silencing would go with it
    4. reasonably quiet, but i dont need or want to get another obsession with that
that's pretty much it. so far im looking at the antec p183. so im looking for the least expensive build (mobo, ram, case, psu, fans, silencing stuff) based on this, and no graphics card. dont need an sdd though id like one since id rather put the money in the cpu.

thanks very much!

-neal

ces

Re: number crunching .. quietly ..

Post by ces » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 pm

gongli wrote:1. sandy bridge (is the stock fan too loud, if so what is a budget alternative?)
Quick, Dirty & Cheap: Get a 1000 rpm Nexus fan and tie strap it onto the standard cpu heat sink. Then unplug the standard fan. (an alternative would be a 500rpm or 800 rpm Slipstream)

How much of a load is your number crunching going to put on the CPU. Will it be something similar to the load those benchmarking program put on it? What kind of load will it put on your memory?

Apparently your number crunching won't access or benefit from the number crunching capabilities available through some video cards?

What is the number crunching you are going to do?

gongli

Re: number crunching .. quietly ..

Post by gongli » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:54 pm

ces wrote:
gongli wrote:1. sandy bridge (is the stock fan too loud, if so what is a budget alternative?)
Quick, Dirty & Cheap: Get a 1000 rpm Nexus fan and tie strap it onto the standard cpu heat sink. Then unplug the standard fan. (an alternative would be a 500rpm or 800 rpm Slipstream)
thanks! how about the HD and mobo? any suggestions? is the fan controller in the mobo or in the cpu or somewhere else (sorry im pretty noob at this!)
How much of a load is your number crunching going to put on the CPU. Will it be something similar to the load those benchmarking program put on it?
Yes i think the benchmarks are pretty useful for me to see how fast different machines will run my code.
What kind of load will it put on your memory?
right now i run in 512mb, but i can use more memory
Apparently your number crunching won't access or benefit from the number crunching capabilities available through some video cards?
actually it would benefit alot, but the payoff would only be worthwhile in production. im doing prototyping, so i just need to be able to quickly try different things and see how fast they work in a preliminary way. i can't really justify detouring into vectorization or optimization or gpu stuff right now, but within a year or 2 i may shift into developing that way by default. i know my type of numerics vectorize and run fast on gpus and that is sort of given.
What is the number crunching you are going to do?
monte carlo simulation