Quiet PC Plan

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

justice99

Quiet PC Plan

Post by justice99 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 am

Hello guyz,

I just sold all my laptops cause i am planning to built a very quiet gaming (not hardcore gaming) desktop.
I found a lot of information on this forum and that's my plan :

CPU : i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
CPU Fan : Noctua NH-U9B SE2 (18db)
MotherBoard : Asus P8H61-M PRO (Rev. B3)
RAM : 2x2Go Kingston PC3-10666
GPU : GeForce GTX 460 OC, 1 Go, Gigabyte
SSD & HDD : SSD Series & WD20EARS (already have them)
Case : Antec P183 V3
Power Supply : Corsaire TX650

I already have SSD, HDD ans some PCI card, and it will cost me like 750€, i can spend 1000€ on it.

What do you think? Can i do better?
Should i also change fans' case ?

Thanks in advance.

Arbutus

Re: Quiet PC Plan

Post by Arbutus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 pm

You haven't revealed your country of residence which affects parts availability.

CPU Cooler:
The p183 has room for a 120mm fan based cooler like the cheaper Scythe Mugen 2.

Chassis Fans:
A hot gaming system can't be silent while gaming. It can be reasonably quiet and non-annoying at idle. PWM fans are an good way to easily achieve quiet operation at idle and still supply cooling power at full load. Considering the heat load of your current proposed system you might try 2 PWM fans for the chassis on a PWM y-adapter connected to the to the Cpu fan header and a fixed rpm fan on the CPU heatsink.

justice99

Post by justice99 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello,

thanks for you answer, i live in France, noise during gaming is normal, it wont be a problem for me, but in idle it will.

So my configuration will be hot at idle?
I should add 2 fan insite my case?

Regards.

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 am

It's a question whether your current configuration could be "a very quiet gaming desktop".

1 If you read the review, you may already know P183's case fan is noisy since the lowest speed is still very high to silencers (i.e. 1200rpm). You need to invest some money on some low speed fan (single fan at the rear is sufficient for your configuration).

2 You need a better CPU heathink with at least using 12cm fan. To achieve the same air flow, 12cm fan can run at lower speed and generate less noise. Either Scythe Mugen or Thermalright HR02 can be a recommendation, the former is very cost effective.

3 I don't think a card like GT460 can be quiet especially when it's loaded. You may need to consider changing the heatsink, but this will violate warranty. However, this can be done later after you finish your build and make sure it's the #1 noise source.

4 I don't remember whether SPCR has reviewed TX650, but you have better choices with better noise and performance, such like Seasonic X series (X-560 should be sufficient). Note that TX650 even doesn't belong to the high end in Corsair's product line.

Not sure whether this changes can be within your budget, at least it is in China :lol:

Don't forget the great reference (which is the best configuration to me):
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Serenity_ ... _Bridge_PC

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:19 am

After reading some test and review, i have updated my config :

CPU Fan : Noctua NH-U9B SE2 (18db)
Motherboard : MSI P67A-G45 (Rev. B3)
RAM : 2x2go PC3—10666, CAS7, Gskill
GPU : GeForce GTX 460 OC, 1 Go, Gigabyte
SSD & HDD : SSD Vertex Series & WD20EARS
Case : Fractal Design R3
Power Supply : Corsaire HX620

I have changed the case and the power supply, about the graphic card, its the quietest GTX 460.

Yo be honest, i am completly lost, too many models everywhere...

Is this config better? If not, what should i change?

djkest

Post by djkest » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 am

Because they are more efficient, you should take a look at the ATI Radeon cards. In particular, the HD 6850 is roughly the same performance as the 460 GTX 1GB. If you step up to the 6870, that is more like a 470 GTX. Both could be fitted with a GeLid Icy Vision and be made silent, even while gaming hard. That's the route I would go. The load power consumption is like 30-40 W less than the nVidia card.

Should also consider something like the Silverstone Raven 2 or the Antec Solo.

Also you could probably go with a Seasonic 560W 80plus GOLD certified PSU, would be more than enough for what you're looking at. I'm doing fine with my 430W power supply. Corsair can be hit or miss.

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:01 am

Thank you for your advice, i will buy the Seasonic X-Series 560W instead of the Corsair.

Your proposed me 2 cases, a very expensive one, and a very cheap one :?

Gelid Icy Vision looks really nice, but cost 50€, i read its compatible with the GTX 460, i will maybe buy this Nvidia card, and change the fan is the card is too noisy.

I cant spend 3000 dollars on it lol.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 am

netmask254 wrote:2 You need a better CPU heathink with at least using 12cm fan. To achieve the same air flow, 12cm fan can run at lower speed and generate less noise. Either Scythe Mugen or Thermalright HR02 can be a recommendation, the former is very cost effective. [/url]
What you say is valid, but the small Noctua with the dual 92mm fans is a very effective cooler. With the fans set to low it is both effective and quiet.

So while your recommendations are clearly better than the original choice, but surprisingly the little Noctua is not a bad decision. It packs a lot of punch in a small package.
Last edited by ces on Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:07 am

Fractal Design R3 is a nice case... but it is 27.5 pounds and it has some fragile plastic parts. When they break you will be unable o lock the front part of the case. 27.5 pounds is very heavy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352002

The LIAN LI PC-A05NA is an aluminum case that weights about 8 or 9 pounds. It is a world of difference.

It takes fewer hard drives though. What it does is place the PSU where some of the hard drives would go... making it a smaller more compact case while still having room for the longest video card you would ever want to use.

At $89, it is very low cost for a Lian Li (they usually cost a few hundred dollars). If you are not familiar with Lian Li they are renowned for their construction quality. My one instance of support from them was like nothing I have ever experienced in the PC industry. Highly personalized assistance and then they sent me a part for free that they really didn't need to send.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112218

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112219

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I don't understand if you are french or canadian/american, and whether or not you will buy in EU or in Canada/USA. However, briefly:

CPU Fan : Scythe SCMG-2100
Motherboard : MSI P67A-G45 (Rev. B3) (I would rather something else, but nothing on NewEgg seems to have similar price: by the way check the manual online for its fan management)
RAM : with Sandy Bridge any 4Gb (either 2x2Gb or 1x4Gb) PC3—12800 or PC3-16000, CAS8 or CAS9, Corsair/Crucial/Kingston/Patriot (if you trust more 1st tier vendors) or G.skill/Team (if you praise for 2nd tier vendors) could be SLIGHTLY better than any PC3-10666 CAS7: BUT always check the relevant qualified RAM list by MSI
GPU : MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB (far quieter than any 460s and somehow equally performing)
SSD & HDD : SSD Vertex Series & WD20EARS
Case : Antec Solo (it is more probably that not the quietest case around, notwithstanding its own limits)
Power Supply : either Seasonic X-560 or Enermax Pro87+ EPG500AWT 500W, or eventually, if you won't overclock CPU/GPU, the Enermax ECO80+ II EES400AWT_II 400W.
Case fan: Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan to swap the rear Antec TriCool, unbearable at any level IME/IMO.

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I live in France.

Thank you very much for your answer, the Radeon 5770 is not that powerfull, do you another quiet model who equal the GTX 460 ?

About the CPU Fan, Newegg says that Scythe SCMG-2100 noise level is between 0 and 26.50 dBA, and the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is at 18 dba, what do you think?

For the ram, i will probably goes with a Corsair 4go PC3—12800.

The Atanc Solo looks so weak comparing to the Fractal R3, i just checked some video, the Fractal R3 is full of gadgets to limit noise. Should i really think of buying this model?

For the Power supply, i will take the Seasonic X-560, everybody love this model so...

Take in advance.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:16 pm

justice99 wrote:About the CPU Fan, Newegg says that Scythe SCMG-2100 noise level is between 0 and 26.50 dBA, and the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is at 18 dba, what do you think?
They will both be quiet. They are both good choices.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:22 pm

justice99 wrote:Thank you very much for your answer, the Radeon 5770 is not that powerfull, do you another quiet model who equal the GTX 460 ?
How about dual Radeon 5770?

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm

ces wrote:
justice99 wrote:Thank you very much for your answer, the Radeon 5770 is not that powerfull, do you another quiet model who equal the GTX 460 ?
How about dual Radeon 5770?
Its gonna cost me money, i maybe wont be able to sell them if i want to, and i dont think that 2xRadeon 5770 is quieter than 1xGTX 460.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 pm

justice99 wrote: i dont think that 2xRadeon 5770 is quieter than 1xGTX 460.
I don't know if that is so or not. I do know you can get them fanless. I wouldn't run two together fanless... but maybe two of them with slow fans wouldn't be that loud?

I know that I am stretching here... beyond your specs... but if you used a Da Box
http://www.lan-gear.com/
http://www.lan-gear.com/langear-microATX-DaBox100
with a micro-ATX version of the board you have (assuming it would take two cards) I suspect that you would have more than enough air current to run two fanless Radeon 5770s... all from a single 120mm quiet fan :)

It would be darn close to silent, even when gaming. It would also work with dual couplings of two lesser fanless cards as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:58 pm

RE: "qualified RAM list"

I agree 100% about using qualified RAM. For RAM I recommend:

==> low profile with no heat sinks, tall or otherwise
==> no OC'ing
==> no overvolting

My preferred choice is to use Kingston Value RAM and let the mainboard automatically set up the speed settings.

Job 1 is a reliable computer...today and tomorrow.

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Looks really nice, but a little tricky to assemble, and i wont be able to add some HDD on it, but i can travel with it for example.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:09 pm

justice99 wrote:but i can travel with it for example.
I really like the heavy duty handle on the back. The case itself weighs only 5 pounds.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Arbutus wrote:My preferred choice is to use Kingston Value RAM a
That is my favorite no muss no fuss memory. Seems to make a lot of the QVL lists too.

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks for the Ram model, what about the case, Fractal R3 or Antec Solo?

djkest

Post by djkest » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Both are excellent choices. Seems like the Fractal R3 might be slightly better due to power supply location. (on the bottom). I think you would be good with either one. Some people have criticised the Solo for not breathing enough, the fractal might breathe "too much" you might end up blocking off some of the vents...

fumino

Post by fumino » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm

if you can find a SPARKLE Calibre Series X460G, you'll be better off. it's probably the quietest 460 youre going to find.

case wise, pick the one that you think looks nicer, the fractal and the solo are both going to be very quiet.

everything else seems covered mostly... but i'll throw another mugen-2 recommendation out there.

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:41 am

Noise:

Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo Pro is dead silent even if you push it to its max speed. You’ll be unable to hear it over your case fan or CPU Cooler; I can bet you on this one. Due to some BIOS limitation, you can’t push fan speed over 80% but I think pushing it further isn’t needed as temperatures are really under control even with automatic speed. You can also make a fan profile of your own choice using MSI AfterBurner.
Thank you for this advice, i will try to find this model in France.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 am

justice99 wrote:I live in France.

Usually EU prices are far higher than NewEgg ones (mostly because of VAT) but, above all, they may be in a different relationship between each other, which can change the convenience to buy such a part instead that another one.
IMO it would be better if you can supply a more reliable price reference than NewEgg, for France.

Not for the same price or the same quietness level, but if you're not an hardcore gamer, the R5770 performance level might be sufficient.
However, just as a side note, IMO/IME you can't use such tools (Anandtech Bench) uncritically: just let me do a brief example. If you usually gamed at WoW with a typical (good) 22-23" monitor, more probably that not the 5770 and the 460 would perform virtually identical, even if the 460 is generally speaking more capable. So you have to assess which games you more often play, and on which monitor you would play.

You may also go for that Gigabyte WindForce you have opted for initially, but then you must mod its BIOS (if you are able to do so) to let the fan run slower at idle. Modding a VGA BIOS is probably nothing too much difficult to do (there's a thread about it in the relevant video section of SPCR forum), providing that you do have any second card for recovery a bad working/corrupted BIOS on your modded videocard. Take also note that even some vendors have modified their original GTX 460 BIOS (MSI with the F1 BIOS for the GTX 460 Cyclone OC for example seems to have achieved good results with reference to quietness).

IMHO the next good option would be the MSI R6850 Cyclone running it in its "Silent mode" (not as good as the R5770 on load).
If you can spend more, instead, a very quiet card (probably nowadays the quietest without modding BIOS/making custom fan curves/swapping the heatsink) is the MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II OC.
justice99 wrote:About the CPU Fan, Newegg says that Scythe SCMG-2100 noise level is between 0 and 26.50 dBA, and the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is at 18 dba, what do you think?
You give the feeling you're not so experienced about parts quietness or silencing a rig.
Those declared data has little or no relationship with how actually quiet an heatsink can be.
Some clever review (such as SPCR ones) has more, you may give a read to the site.

Generally speaking there are no (apart few exceptions, fanless) "truly" quiet parts: every cooler run at full speed is noisy (to be said, mosts are not enough quiet even at intermediate speeds, a very few ones are still noisy even at their baseline fan speed).

So it is the Noctua, and also it is the Scythe (somewhat loud at full speed). I have more than a doubt that a pair of 1600rpm Noctua B9 can really be quieter than a 1200rpm Slipstream PWM (I own both those fans, even if I used the Noctua as an intake fan).

A CPU cooler *can* be made quiet only slowing down its fan: to slow down any fan you can either rely upon BIOS capabilities, SpeedFan or an hardware fan controller. Using SpeedFan or an hardware solution is a far more effective and flexible solution than relying upon any BIOS built-in fan control, so a CPU cooler can be made more quiet with the former alternatives (which are strongly recommended).

How far you can slow down a fan is a matter of temperature: always generally speaking, a bigger fan tends to run slower than a smaller one for the same temperature, and a bigger, more massive heatsink basically let you lower more the fan speed to achieve the same temperature.

With these respects, the Scythe fan bundled with the SCMG2100 heatsink is probably the best sounding fan around you can have bundled with an heatsink and it is a 120mm fan (the Noctuas are 92mm fans), and the Scythe heatink has much more cooling power than the smaller Noctua U9 (as a matter of fact the Scythe has almost twice the mass, and more heatpipes than this one). It will usually also costs less than the Noctua: so it gives a far better value than the Noctua.

Paired with a cool Sandy Bridge CPU, I think that both may be effective: but why would you want to pay more, in order to have less (even if that less is probably enough)?

Another option in Europe (even in the USA, but not on NewEgg), so check your local prices, would be the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus: it usually costs almost the half of the Scythe or less than half the Noctua, but it does need a separate new fan (the bundled one is just too noisy to be used by a silencer). The possible savings may be invested onto a better videocard, for example.
justice99 wrote:The Atanc Solo looks so weak comparing to the Fractal R3, i just checked some video, the Fractal R3 is full of gadgets to limit noise. Should i really think of buying this model?

It is exactly the contrary: there is no case in the world with so many anti-noise characteristics as the Antec Solo, which is also more sturdy and IMHO aestethically even better refined than the R3.
The Antec has different drawbacks: it tends to heat up more the PSU area, it cannot accomodate videocard longer than 25cm, its power button tends to go flimsy in the long run, and you have to check/swap its hard disk suspensions regularly (at least every 18/24 months or so about).

Give a look at the relevant SPCR review (even if it's a bit outdated) too see all these features.
justice99 wrote:For the Power supply, i will take the Seasonic X-560, everybody love this model so

Yes, it's an awesome PSU (apart sample variance) but take in mind that for some less money the alternatives I gave you are equally excellent, each one within its own limit (the cable management, mostly).
Indeed, to use in a top mounting position I would rather the bigger Enermax all the way round, or rather the smaller Seasonic X-400 (fanless) providing that the Seasonic X-560 controller is a tad aggressive, noticeably more than the Enermax 87+ one.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:16 am

If we go back to the original choice of graphics card GeForce GTX 460 OC this would cost around €185 from Pixmania and other suppliers http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/6573813/a ... -mo-g.html.

However for €240 you could buy the Gainward Phantom GTX 560 from Pixmania http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/8932340/a ... hanto.html. This is not only a more powerful card but exceptionally silent. There is a review here http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/item/21 ... ed?start=8.

Yes, the Phantom is €55 more but aside from being quiet, it would give you additional performance capacity to cope with any future games you want to play. So the extra €55 could be a good investment.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 am

fumino wrote:
if you can find a SPARKLE Calibre Series X460G, you'll be better off. it's probably the quietest 460 youre going to find.

Unfortunately at factory settings those Calibres turn out to be among the loudest GTXs on the market, providing that Sparkle has preferred an aggressive behaviour in order to have among the lowest operating temperature for those cards.

IIRC it is so for the more recent GTX 560Ti, but even the GTX 460 seems very close.

Obviously you might modd its BIOS (as for any GTX 460) and then slow down the fans hacking a custom fan curve through Rivatuner/Afterburner (and obviously YMMV).

Eventually, I don't know in France, but usually Calibre isn't such easily available (it's sort of a niche player).

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 am

Thank you for your answer guyz.
The Gainward Phantom GTX 560 is only 10% faster than the 460.

I just updated my config with price :

CPU : i5 2500K 3.3Ghz (193.5€)
CPU Fan : Scythe SCMG-2100 (40.5€)
RAM : KINGSTON Hyper X Grey XMP X2-4Go- PC12800 (55€)
GPU : MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC (169€)
Case : Antec Solo (90€) or Fractal R3 (100€)
Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series - 560W (133€)
Motherboard : MSI P67A-G45 (130€)

What do you think?
I am completly lost with all these graphic card, the MSI Cyclone is not very expensive sounds good.

About the case, which one should i take? Can the Antec Solo be really better than the Fractal R3?
Thanks in advance.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am

justice99 wrote:The Atanc Solo looks so weak comparing to the Fractal R3, i just checked some video, the Fractal R3 is full of gadgets to limit noise. Should i really think of buying this model?
If you get good components it shouldn't make much difference.

In my opinion, in the not so distant past, getting a "quiet" case was important. Now a days, with todays quiet components, getting a "quiet" case is important... except for the most obsessive of us.

Without test reviews by the same reviewers on both cases you just can't know which is quieter.... but the Fractal R3 weighs 1/3 more than the solo and it seems that most, if not all of that, is sound absorption material.

I find it hard to believe that will not give it a quietness advantage over the Solo. On the other hand, do you really want to buy a 30 pound anchor?

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 am

It's not a problem for me, i dont care about these 30 pounds, its heavy because of all thse sound absorption material like you said.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:51 am

justice99 wrote:Can the Antec Solo be really better than the Fractal R3?

With reference to hard disk noise, the most notable source usually in a very quiet computer, yes, the Solo is really better.