looking to make my current system quieter

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MalikDrako

looking to make my current system quieter

Post by MalikDrako » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 pm

my current system isnt annoyingly loud (aside from the video card fan on full) but I'd like it if it was a bit quieter

specs:
CPU: i7 860
Heatsink: Titan Fenrir xmas edition
Heatsink fan: What came with the heatsink, fan says TFD-12025H12ZP, but it looks nothing like what searches for it turn up. Audible at ~900RPM, approx 60CFM @12v, 17CFM @5v (filled a 30gal trash bag in ~4 sec/ ~14 sec)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3L
GPU: Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB + Kingston HyperX 8GB
HDD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB + 2x Samsung SpinPoint F3
PSU: Antec NeoHE 500
Case: Thermaltake Soprano
Case fans: 2x Thermaltake TT-1225 (although searches show the TT-1225 are transparent, and mine look more like these) ~1500RPM, I measured the airflow at approx 34CFM (filled a 30gal trash bag in ~7 sec) The one I tested felt like the bearing was getting old

I believe the case fans are the loudest when idle, but the CPU and GPU fans are louder when running at full speed
I am planning on getting an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo for my GPU
I'm not sure which fans to get for my case and CPU heatsink, possibly Yate Loon or Scythe Slipstream (likely from here), or maybe an Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 since I can get it at the same place as the GPU heatsink
What speed fans do I want for this noise level, and will I be able to get quieter fans for a similar level of cooling?
Should I continue to use the fan brackets that came with my case, or remove them and use soft fan mounts?

I am also considering buying/making a bracket to mount my hard drives + a fan in my extra 5.25" bays so the drives wouldnt transfer vibrations to the case. Can anyone recommend one or give me tips on the design?

cmh

Re: looking to make my current system quieter

Post by cmh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 am

What are your CPU and GPU temps at idle and full load? If you've got some headroom on temps, you might start by slowing down your fans and seeing where that leaves you...

MalikDrako

Post by MalikDrako » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:11 am

House ambient is 25-26C, my room tends to be noticeably warmer
CPU is about 40 - <70 C, mostly sits around 50-55 when I have what I normally use open (this is also about where the fan starts to become audible above the rest of my system)
Either I didnt do as good of a job when I remounted my heatsink or its just getting warmer, but the fan seems to be spinning up more often than it used to
GPU is about 55 - 70C

MalikDrako

Post by MalikDrako » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:40 pm

can anyone give me some idea of the noise level of my fans that can be compared to the reviews here? I couldnt find any for my heatsink fan, and the only one I found for my case fans was for the LED model and measured at 6"

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:12 pm

MalikDrako wrote:can anyone give me some idea of the noise level of my fans that can be compared to the reviews here? I couldnt find any for my heatsink fan, and the only one I found for my case fans was for the LED model and measured at 6"
There is no way anyone can offer this kind of insight, but it's probably safe to say that by SPCR standards, your system is not quiet. Just replace all the fans with slower, quieter fans from Scythe, Nexus, Yate Loon, Antec, etc, remove all the fan grills, and perhaps reseat your heatsink.

lunarcleric

Post by lunarcleric » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 am

:arrow: I believe the case fans are the loudest when idle, but the CPU and GPU fans are louder when running at full speed :roll: