this angled tower heat sink for Silverstone FT03 angled fan?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tr888

this angled tower heat sink for Silverstone FT03 angled fan?

Post by tr888 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:36 am

I am trying to spec out a system based on the Silverstone Fortress FT03, but I have not seen it in person, and I am a newb who has not built a PC before. When trying to determine (before I buy it online) whether a component will fit, I am relying on the manufacturers' published specs and on the excellent pictures that accompany the reviews here on SPCR, like this review of the FT03:

SPCR Review (redux) of the Silverstone FT03

This tower-style cooler from Silenx, model EFZ-120HA3 leans at an angle and so it looks as though it might fit into the case better than the Noctua that was installed in the review. But are the directions of these towers reversible? I want to make sure it can be installed so the tower parallels the FT03's angled fan, and doesn't lean the other way, so the two would collide. Another question is the socket compatibility. The chip socket is LGA1155 but the Silenx lists LGA1156. Silenx says the EFZ-120HA has a "universal mounting bracket" but I am not sure what to make of that.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

P.S.
In the review there are two pictures showing a Noctua heat sink that doesn't quite fit -- the fin gets bent:

quest_for_silence

Re: this angled tower heat sink for Silverstone FT03 angled

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 am

tr888 wrote:This tower-style cooler from Silenx

IMVHO a real silencer will ever avoid SilenX.
tr888 wrote:The chip socket is LGA1155 but the Silenx lists LGA1156.

It's the same thing.
The mounting brackets for both 1155 and 1156 are identical, and any CPU heatsink built for 1156 will fit in 1155 (obviously no 1155 CPU will work in a 1156 socket, and viceversa).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 am

if its just the corners of the fan body interfering, how about just cutting the corners off?

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:03 am

xan_user wrote:if its just the corners of the fan body interfering, how about just cutting the corners off?
This is what I thought. Of course SPCR can't cut their own cooler, but it should only take 10 seconds to cut off the offending fins with a tin snip.