Riddle the [noise]

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ulfson

Riddle the [noise]

Post by ulfson » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:03 am

Hello,

My home stationary is running an i7 2600k clocked to 4400 MHz on a P8P67 deluxe, win 7 64 with 8 GB low end ddr3's, a (somewhat overclocked) Sapphire HD7870, a 220 ssd boot disk,, a rarely used blueray burner, 5 harddrives ranging from 3 TB (1) to 500 GB (4), most in lower compartment of an Antec p183.

CPU cooler is an older but OK Zalman using analog revcontrol, GPU cooler standard, fans are a mix blowing in (upper front) and out (Back top and top standard Antec 3-speed on lowest setting) respectively. No mods to chassie, fairly clean build inside (could switch some of the older 500 GB disks for newer low rpm 3 TB to lessen heat and number of wires restricting air flow).

Performance wise it folds and I game, mainly blackops. Time wise it folds and I do mundane office tasks on it.

I'd like to make it q u i e t e r. If I could improve performance also, fine. Not important

What would you do? Fan arrays? Switch case? Mod case? Coolers for CPU or GPU? Water or air? Lower no of disks? All of the above.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Thx, Ulfson

mkk

Re: Riddle the [noise]

Post by mkk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 pm

What kind of noise coming from the system do you want to lower?
A good start might be lowering the amount of fans and in the end replacing them with slower fans. Even at low those stock fans are fairly noisy to me.
Fewer drives would be a likely next step for me. Start with one thing and move to the next source of noise.