Case recommendations.

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crashed

Case recommendations.

Post by crashed » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Hello everyone.
I am doing my first manual pc build and I want to build one as quiet as possible and would like you guys to help me pick a case.

My build will be a rather meaty gaming build, and I tried picking my components with less noise in mind:
CPU: an i5 3570k with a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 heatsink/fan combo.
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 670 with the windforce
PSU: Seasonic X-760

I also thought about maybe adding some Noctua NF-P14s FLXs for better airflow, but am not sure if more fans is the way to go although theoretically more fans would allow to run them at slower rpms.

My case candidates listed in a descending order of me liking them most are (note: I am only buying locally, so cases that are not listed here I probably won't be able to buy even if they're better):

Define XL
Define R3
Antec P280
Corsair 550d

There are also the Cooler Master silent cases (Sileo and Silencio). And maybe a possibility of asking to order other Antec models (p183v3, p193v3 or a solo). Silverstones and LIAN LIs are completely off the radar, the retailers here don't even have them listed.

As you can see, I'm currently leaning towards the Define XL, I really like the looks of it and it looks like a good performer even though this review scared me a bit. My view is that it won't get too stuffy with all the meaty bits inside due to it's size and with added coolers it should get a decent airflow/noise ratio. I also like the Antecs, especially the p183v3, but I'm limited by my suppliers.

After doing general research on the web my picture is currently that Antecs are good, but no one really talks about them, Fractal Design cases are good value, and everyone is like a crazy crack whore for the Corsairs (which seem to me a bit overpriced, but what do I know), so it is a really a tough pick. I'm a real novice in this business and all my knowledge comes from reading reviews and guides so I'd like some input from people who at least have more idea than I do. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Fan and cooling configuration tips are very welcome too.