It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Silence Epson 8350 Projector
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:27 am 

Just curious if anyone here has tried silencing a projector? I know you can make a hush box for projectors but I was hoping there might be a different solution. Replacing the fan? Remove the projector housing? Etc?

I could not anyone having done any of these before and I was hoping someone in the SPCR community might have tried already.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Silence Epson 8350 Projector
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:25 pm 

dsp9753 wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has tried silencing a projector? I know you can make a hush box for projectors but I was hoping there might be a different solution. Replacing the fan? Remove the projector housing? Etc?

I could not anyone having done any of these before and I was hoping someone in the SPCR community might have tried already.

Thanks for any help.

I don't see why not, with a little ingenuity a bigger fan could replace the stock fan. Most projectors come with a tiny fan that goes apeshit.

If the projector is a big older check it for dust, it's possible intakes are clogged and the fan is spinning to cool something that can't be cooled.

i7 920 (no oc) w/ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P6T | Asus 6950 DC II 2gb | 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz | Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2 | 2x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache |2x WD Caviar Green 2TB 64m cache | Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Seasonic X-660 | Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm

Post subject: Re: Silence Epson 8350 Projector
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

dsp9753 wrote:

I have a waaay-out-of-warranty Optoma DPL projector, so I was not hesitant to open it up for cleaning when the color wheel sensor started freaking out. Turns out there are 2 fans in there - not just the one visible through the case openings. Those 2 fans, plus the color wheel mean that my only option = hush box. I've built 2 prototype hush boxes and neither was satisfactory. But both were half-hearted attempts (I never bought glass to seal the front "port hole").

Your epson is LCD, so you don't have the color wheel noise. You do (I think) have a non-sealed light path, and thus air filtering is important. Yours may still be within its 2 yr warranty, so I wouldn't modify it. I'd still build a hush box. It's cheaper to f'ck up a bunch of wood boxes than your projector.

I am now (patiently!) waiting for my old Optoma to die. I'm not building another hush box until I know what projector is going in it.