Some advice regarding a Case and a CPU cooling solution[?]

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hipoposus

Some advice regarding a Case and a CPU cooling solution[?]

Post by hipoposus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 am

Hi all I have the following things:
  • CPU: Core i7 3770K
  • MB: Intel dz77ga-70k
  • Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce (OC)
  • HD1: Intel SSD 180GB 520
  • HD2: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
  • RAM: 16GB of Corsair@1600Mhz
  • PS: Seasonic X-560
I 'm just looking for a (very?) quiet PC with no intention of OCing it whatsoever, I'm just sick of my several years old PC which has too many lights and makes a noise that would humble a vacuum cleaner.
And that's where I got confused I did read several posts in the forum and the reviews available on the site but failed to reach a definitive conclusion (I am well aware that there might not be one, but at least maybe there are thing that I did not consider and you guys did).
I thought about taking the Scythe Mugen 3 Rev B for the CPU but I don't know whether this it the best choice for my needs.
When it comes to cases I'm totally confused having considered the following cases:
  • FD Define R3
  • Antec P280
  • Silverstone Raven 3 (although it has an ugly window and I did not find a version without it near by).
  • NZXT H2 - which is the cheapest of the lot.
I will be very glad to hear what you have to say,
Thanks

lapon

Re: Some advice regarding a Case and a CPU cooling solution[

Post by lapon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 am

That GPU is a hot one, and OCing wont make it happier. I would recommend the Antec SoloII, it has gotten great reviews here at SPCR, and looks to be the best cooling PC case aside from the huge ones with tons of fans. It has the benefit of a fan at the bottom of the case that would blow cool air directly over your GPU. The Raven isn't really in the price range of the other cases you mention, if you are looking at that price point, perhaps a Raven 2? It doesn't have the side window the Raven 3 has, while keeping much of the appeal of it. Plus I like the more minimal styling in the Raven 2. The R3 has a side fan that can blow fresh cool air to the GPU, which really helps with temps. But, I don't really like the hard drive cages in the P280 and the R3 as I feel they will impede too much airflow and are not removable. In the H2 you can remove the HDD drive holders to get more airflow from the front fans, but it doesn't have a lot of airflow to the front case fans, meaning though the airpath is free, they cant draw enough air from the outside. Here are my would-be ratings:
  • Raven 2
  • SoloII
  • R3
  • P280/H2