New CPU Cooler

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vettieboo

New CPU Cooler

Post by Vettieboo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:05 am

Hello! Newbie here, but hoping you can help me out on replacing my CPU cooler.

I currently have the stock AMD cooler that came with my Phenom 955 and although it hasn't really been a problem for cooling (well nothing has overheated) the noise has been driving me insane. I recently replaced my case and put in some new case fans (which are quiet enough!), but found that the biggest noise problem is from the CPU cooler.

I was hoping I could have some advice on a cheap cooler (£30-£40) that would be preferably as quiet as possible, while keeping things cool! I would also prefer to have it be easy to fit, but that is less of a priority.

A major problem is that the case I now have is a Xigmatek Midgard II and I have no clue as to what the maximum height a CPU cooler can be placed into it. Hoping I can have help with that too :oops: .

I was considering the Thermalright Macho or True Spirit 120 (I believe the 140 is too tall for my case), but I am completely open to suggestions as I am new to replacing a CPU cooler, I'd prefer UK sites however.

Thanks!

CA_Steve

Re: New CPU Cooler

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:06 am

According to HardwareLuxx, the max cooler height is 165mm. So, the Macho and the True Spirit should fit. A little more wiggle room with the former.

Vettieboo

Post by Vettieboo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for that, didn't spot that review before but it's very helpful.

Any other recommended CPU cooler, or have I picked the right ones to look at?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 pm

For your 125W CPU and price point, the Macho looks pretty good. If you want to further tweak temp vs. noise, you could add a 2nd fan for push-pull.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Get the Mugen or the Macho or the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, whichever is cheapest. Assume that you will need to replace the Hyper 212 with a Nexus or slipstream fan.

Vettieboo

Post by Vettieboo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 am

I will have to consider the benefit of adding another fan to the Macho - I just worry it wouldn't fit right in the case with the heat sink placed so close to the rear case fan! Should I drop the True Spirit completely as an option due to my CPU?

If I do go ahead with the Macho with a second fan, are there any recommended fans I should place on the Macho? I am looking to get it from a European site (PC-cooling.de) if I do get the second fan as it seems the UK is woeful on Thermalright products (well, more that they don't seem to have fan clips!).

Thanks again, been very insightful so far!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

Vettieboo wrote:I will have to consider the benefit of adding another fan to the Macho - I just worry it wouldn't fit right in the case with the heat sink placed so close to the rear case fan!
Well, if the rear case fan is up against/near the CPU cooler, then you sorta get the push-pull effect.
Vettieboo wrote:Should I drop the True Spirit completely as an option due to my CPU?

When you are down to a millimeter or so of clearance, just the accuracy of the reviewers' measurements and case-to-case build variabilty might make it go from just fitting to not fitting. <shrug>
Vettieboo wrote:If I do go ahead with the Macho with a second fan, are there any recommended fans I should place on the Macho?
Try it with one fan first...see how it fits, do some fan-fu to get the temps and fan noise where it's optimized for you. Then see if you really need a second fan. I'm guessing just going from the stock cooler to this will be a world of difference.

Vettieboo

Post by Vettieboo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:54 am

Nice to know, I'll probably go with one fan first and see if I'll need the second or not, as well as measure up how it all fits in the case. Since I don't plan on overclocking at all I probably will be OK, but it will certainly be better than my current option.

Thanks!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:11 am

Have fun. Be sure to measure your idle and load temps before and after you change out the cooler and let us know how it worked out.

Vettieboo

Post by Vettieboo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:03 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Have fun. Be sure to measure your idle and load temps before and after you change out the cooler and let us know how it worked out.
Unfortunately I forgot to check temps before changing, too excited that the Macho arrived promptly! (well done on delivery times, so can recommend PC-Cooling.de for that!)
After a bit of trial and error with getting the seating right on the CPU and heatsink everything is now up and running, went with the single fan in the end. It barely fits in the case, but not for the reasons I thought, turned out that the fan clip is very close to the top fan in my case, luckily still fit though!

Temperatures are very good, I no longer am deafened while on loads. Running Prime95 to see how hot this CPU gets, it's currently running at about 47-48 degrees according to Speedfan, with noise that is noticeable but not unbearable. I remember it being close to 65 degrees with the stock heasink under the same test, with the noise being ridiculous! Very happy, thanks for the help!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Glad we could help. Enjoy your quieter build.

telemach

Post by telemach » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 am

I'd need something good to cool i3570k; which one is better Mugen 2 rev. B or Noctua NH-U12P (first rev) ?