HTPC case and spec advice

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

say187

HTPC case and spec advice

Post by say187 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:06 am

Hello All,

This is my first post, although I have been reading for a while. I need some help selecting a HTPC case and a motherboard. I would need this system to play blu ray disks, stream 1080p video from my NAS and lovefilm and the occasional game, and recode video.

I am plan on using the following components

AMD A10-5800k
8GB Ram
Full size desktop Hard disk and Blu ray drive (I already have these)
I also have a Radeon 5570 (not sure if this will be any use)

I need the PC to be as small as possible, and the case to be as cheap and as silent as possible, however I would prefer a DVD player style case rather than a desktop style case so it fits in with my A/V equipment, and can not be deeper than 30cm or it will not fit on my av rack.

As far as the motherboard goes the only requirement I have is that is supports HDMI and Audio over HDMI, im not too fussed if itx or matx.

Ideally all components should be available in the UK

Thanks for your help.

Say187

say187

Re: HTPC case and spec advice

Post by say187 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 am

Hello,

I have seen this case, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 79&subcat=

has anybody used it? would this be able to produce sufficient cooling for an A10-5800k?

Thanks

ceh4702

Post by ceh4702 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 am

I have read some reviews on this case and they say the case fan is noisy. Some tried another fan and it was still noisy. It might be caused by how they made the grill on the case for the air to flow through. If air flow is restricted then sometimes the fan makes more noise or runs harder. I was considering this case for a future build and pondering just modding an exhaust hole and using a grill. Would be nice if they used a honeycomb exhaust like on Antec Cases.

HellDiverUK

Post by HellDiverUK » Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Yeah, those InWin cases are loud. I ran a BP-series one fanless for a while, but the PSU fan got loud too. Gave up on it.

If you don't mind a big case, that's 19" width, the Silverstone Milo ML03 is good - it's quiet, and can fit microATX boards. It's the same size as normal hifi equipment.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=283

I ran a Pentium G620 on an MSI H77 board, with a GT610 in one, no problems, cooled by a 80mm Scythe fan on the CPU and a single 80mm Scythe fan in the case. It was very quiet, and ran cool.