Hola, i am looking for some help for silence my PC

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

powermi

Hola, i am looking for some help for silence my PC

Post by powermi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:36 am

Hello from Spain. i am new in the task of make my PC more quiet. I have several powermacs that i use almost for everything, and only use a PC for gaming and watch come films, after expend some money to upgrade it with an AMD 6300 FX and a 560 Ti, i purchased last week an Antec Solo ii for around 60 eur and its great, so much that i have realized that a silent PC is possible and i would like to ask you for any advice of how to set up the components cause i dont know witch is the better way to do it. my hardware is:
CPU: AMD 6300 fx
Case: Antec Solo II
GPU: Gainward 560Ti
MBO: Asus 970 evo R2
RAM: 8gb Gskill Ares
CPU cooler: Noctua NHU12 SE2.
HDD: Sandisk 128gb SATA3 + 140 gb WD Velociraptor.
and i have several fans to use, the true-quiet that comes with the case (its really cool and quiet) + 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800 rpm (love them).
i would like to know how to setup the fans cause i dont know if its necessary to use all of the or perhaps just with the noctuas i would be OK.

i dont use to game too much, perhaps 2 hours / day. and only play Starcraft2.

all the advices will be really welcome.

PD: sorry for my english.

CA_Steve

Re: Hola, i am looking for some help for silence my PC

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

You don't mention which Gainward 560Ti model you have...is it the Phantom or something else?

I'd install both Gentle Typhoons in the front. Can you hear them at 800rpm? If not, leave them as is. If you can, then there are a couple of ways to lower the rpm. Your motherboard comes with Fan Xpert utility. You can try that. There's also another utility called Speedfan. A third choice is to get a hardware fan controller (Zalman Fanmate 2 or any of the ones that fit in a 5.25" drive bay). The more airflow through the case (without hearing it) the better, as that will in turn keep the CPU and GPU cooler, which in turn means their fans won't ramp as much.

Do you hear the Velociraptor?

powermi

Post by powermi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks for the reply. The Scythes are not very audible, like the TrueQuiet that comes with the case. And the velociraptor are only noticeable when it stops, so its not so annoying. the matter is that i think that perhaps they are a lot of fans for a case, dont you think? would be better to keep on noctua pushing to the cooler and the another on the exhausts of the case? so i could remove the truequiet or put it on the front and remove the Scythes. less fans less noise, thats the rule?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:40 pm

The more airflow through the case (without hearing it) the better, as that will in turn keep the CPU and GPU cooler, which in turn means their fans won't ramp as much.

powermi

Post by powermi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm

After set up the fan speed properly i realized that most of noise comes from the GPU fan, and from the old PSU. The GPU is an normal Gainward 560 ti.

i dont know if its easy to put a 120mm fan there, or maybe just install other fan at the bottom. and for the PSU maybe cange the fan for another new o just pick up a fanless one. any way to set up the speed of the PSU fan?

thanks

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Sorry - no image. You could try using Gainward's Expertool utility for fan control. I don't know if it has a fan profile and just a setting...there's also MSI Afterburner - which does have a fan profile setting.

What's the PSU?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 pm

it wasnt a pic, op posted a link inside .img bracketing.
fixed below, no with googlerish translation. :mrgreen: