I would like some help in choosing the right PSU for a build housed in a Thermaltake Core V1 case. I'm a long time SPCR lurker, but never before I was this stumped on choosing.
The core issue is that while I'd like a fanless/silent/semi-fanless PSU, I've bought the case in advance along with an Enermax Triathlor PSU - which turned out to be an ECO version, which does not have the Enermax "twister" fan - which would have been not a problem, if the case did not emit a low-pitched hum audible a room away. I've RMA'd the PSU, but now I'm thrice as cautious.
The power consumption will be in the range of [71,142] W without the motherboard, for which I was unable to dig up any statistics - but adding, rather generously, ~50W on top of it, still below 200W tops. This means even with the PSU aging quite a bit, 300W should be plenty.
One of the issues appeared to be the amount of SATA connectors available - I need four.
I've examined the list of recommended PSUs, and based on availability (Europe, Hungary) I've lots of units.
- The Silverstone ST30SF SFX 300W appears perfect, almost bought it, if it wasn't for the fact that only 3 SATA connectors are on it!
- The Seasonic X-400FL appears awesome - but the case does not have any space! All heat would be blocked by the motherboard. Tried to re-arrange the rather well designed side boards and flip the case upside down, but half of the exhaust would appear to be blocked.
- The Enermax Platimax 500W, based on the review of the 600W unit should do it (I'm aware that it might differ - this is a leap of faith already.), but alas the output vent is too large! The exhaust on the lower side of the Core V1 is about 10cm x 10cm.
- Another Seasonic, the SS-X650, is available, but at a horrendous price of ~$160, which I consider a bit much for a 6+ years old PSU model.
The other ones which I've eliminated:
- Seasonic SS-400ET 400W - too loud.
- Enermax Modu87+ - unavailable anywhere near me.
- Revolution X'T 430W - too loud, pretty much the entire line is.
- Enermax Triathlor series - unavailable anywhere near me.
... and countless others which were not worthy of enough attention for a more through look.
My primary concern is the elimination noise from the build. The CPU cooler will be either a NoFan CR-80EH, or a Noctua NH-L12, haven't decided yet - if the stock fan is louder than the HDDs, I'll replace it. (I know the HDDs will be noisy, but they won't be running all the time, and I plan to use some additional dampening if they start to annoy.) There is no dedicated GPU in the build, so no worries there. I'd like to keep it under $100, if possible. I've looked into the DC-DC solutions, but they're not available around here - which isn't a big problem since I'd like to keep everything in the case, and those appear to have external power bricks for the most part.
In terms of urgency, I'd like to purchase ASAP, thus I cannot wait for newcomers / rumored units to reach the market / maturity.
Any help or pointers are greatly appriciated, and I'd be more than happy to supply additional details, should they be required to help the process along, or if they might benefit future readers with similar problems - just point them out.