New Mini-ITX Silent Cofiguration

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SuperMan88

New Mini-ITX Silent Cofiguration

Post by SuperMan88 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:11 am

I was looking for a good config for my new pc, which I'll use for 90% Office/websurfing/Watching movies and 10% little gaming.

So It will be something like that, thinking about silent too because this new machine will be in my room.

PSU: Silverstone SST-ST30SF
CPU/GPU: Intel i3-6100
Motherboard: AsRock H170M LGA1151
RAM: 2x4gb (8gb) Low profile 2133Mhz
SSD: Samsung 850EVO 120/250gb
STORAGE: WD Caviar Green 2TB 5900rpm
CASE: Still undecided between a lot of chassis like Corsair 250D, Fractal Node 304, Raijintek Metis or others..

Is it ok? Which case will be good for my use? I prefer silence instead of aesthetic.
Thanks and have a good sunday

edh

Re: New Mini-ITX Silent Cofiguration

Post by edh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:45 am

You might find my build thread similar to what you are trying to do:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68832

Some comments on your component choices:

PSU: This is good, may be able to run passively at low load if the ventilation is right.
Motherboard: That's MicroATX, not MiniITX, might be a bit of a tight fit in each of those cases. :wink:
SSD: Why not make the jump to M.2? Will massively help in a MiniITX system. Wouldn't bother with 120GB units though as they tend to be slower half sized designs.
HDD: What are you going to use the HDD for? Is a fully SSD system possible instead even if you end up having to upgrade it sooner?
Case: I really like the Metis that I have. Better build quality than my previous Silverstone and very cheap.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 am

edh wrote:You might find my build thread similar to what you are trying to do:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68832

Some comments on your component choices:

PSU: This is good, may be able to run passively at low load if the ventilation is right.
Motherboard: That's MicroATX, not MiniITX, might be a bit of a tight fit in each of those cases. :wink:
SSD: Why not make the jump to M.2? Will massively help in a MiniITX system. Wouldn't bother with 120GB units though as they tend to be slower half sized designs.
HDD: What are you going to use the HDD for? Is a fully SSD system possible instead even if you end up having to upgrade it sooner?
Case: I really like the Metis that I have. Better build quality than my previous Silverstone and very cheap.
Hi edh and thanks for your fast reply.
Actually I need a 2TB storage for photos, music and videos so a WD Caviar Green that I already have is necessary.
For SSD vs M.2 it's about budget, how much is an m.2 vs a ssd? I think that for office use I can't notice the difference in daily use.
For the case I will look for the Metis, it seems great!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:35 am

SuperMan88 wrote: For SSD vs M.2 it's about budget, how much is an m.2 vs a ssd? I think that for office use I can't notice the difference in daily use.
nailed it. you wont notice m2 being any better in daily use. to us regular users, the only advantage is its smaller size over a 2.5" ssd.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:46 am

xan_user wrote:
SuperMan88 wrote: For SSD vs M.2 it's about budget, how much is an m.2 vs a ssd? I think that for office use I can't notice the difference in daily use.
nailed it. you wont notice m2 being any better in daily use. to us regular users, the only advantage is its smaller size over a 2.5" ssd.
Thanks Xan, as I tought.
So I can take a Silverstone SG06 or a Raijintek Metis. I'm really undecided because I like both. Which one is better for a silent solution? I could add also a low profile cpu fan for the i3-6100.

My last config will be like this

PSU: Silverstone ST30SF 300W SFX
CASE: Raijintek Metis or Silverstone Sugo SG06
Motherboard: Asrock mini-itx h170
CPU: Intel i3-6100
CPU FAN: Noctua or similar low profile
RAM: 2x4gb (8gb) low profile
SSD: Samsung 850evo 250gb
HD Storage: WD Caviar Green 2TB

I think it's a good and balanced option for daily use, even for silent.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 am

Raijintek Metis.
looks to have restrictive venting.

i really like silverstone cases.

have you seen the Sugo Series SG13? http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=536&area=en

edh

Post by edh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:26 pm

xan_user wrote:nailed it. you wont notice m2 being any better in daily use. to us regular users, the only advantage is its smaller size over a 2.5" ssd.
There are other reasons to go for M.2. Some drives are already cheaper than their 2.5" counterparts and this will only continue to become more pronounced because there is simply less raw material and less manufacturing required to produce an M.2 versus a 2.5" SSD. Also there are no cables at all with M.2. It's fantastically liberating. If the cost is equal to or less than the cost of a SATA drive (as it was for me) I can only recommend it.
SuperMan88 wrote:So I can take a Silverstone SG06 or a Raijintek Metis. I'm really undecided because I like both. Which one is better for a silent solution? I could add also a low profile cpu fan for the i3-6100.
They each have their advantages. The Metis may make the use of a 3.5" HDD more difficult but it will allow use of a big CPU cooler like the Ninja 4 that I have plus fullsize ATX PSU if you want to use a passive unit. I've just come away from 7 and a half years with a Silverstone SG03 which had the same 82mm CPU cooler limitation as the SG06 had and I ended up using a Scythe Zipang 2 underneath the PSU. It worked OK but was not very efficient at losing heat even when ducting airflow from the front to it. The SG06 makes things worse by having a solid panel behind the CPU so you can't count on any air being blown all of the way through and out of the back. The SG05 and SG06 did get recommended by SPCR but that was back in 2009 and not without flaws:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article968-page1.html

I also can't say I've been that impressed with Silverstone build quality for the price. They are quite vibration prone designs and I never seemed to consistently get a quiet computer. Every few months something would develop a bit of play and the whole case would sing to itself until it was next dismantled and rebuilt, only for the same rattle to come back a few months later. The Metis is probably going to be about half the price of the SG06 which has since been superceded. The SG13 suggested by xan is far cheaper so may be worth considering instead but only allows for a 61mm CPU cooler height. That doesn't give you much choice.
xan_user wrote:
Raijintek Metis.
looks to have restrictive venting.
Currently idling at 27C over here with a single 300rpm fan. No more than 50C under load. :D Seriously impressive cheap case.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:59 am

Here in Italy where I live a Crucial MX200 M.2 250GB costs about 100,00€. A Samsung 850 EVO 250gb 85,00€ and maybe for edh opinion I can take the M.2 for 15€ difference.

I really love raijintek metis too!

edh

Post by edh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:13 am

SuperMan88 wrote:Here in Italy where I live a Crucial MX200 M.2 250GB costs about 100,00€. A Samsung 850 EVO 250gb 85,00€
That's quite a difference! If it is that much then I wouldn't bother with M.2.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 am

Guys thanks for everything! I just mounted my new mini-itx configuration in this way:

PSU: Silverstone SST-ST30SF
CPU/GPU: Intel i3-6100
Motherboard: AsRock H170M-ITX/DL LGA1151
RAM: 2x4gb (8gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 2133Mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (that I already have from my previous config)
STORAGE: WD Caviar Green 2TB 5900rpm (that I already have from my previous config)
CASE: Raijintek Metis Silver

I'm deciding to buy a new CPU COOLER for silent and better airflow than the stock one, which one fits my case and motherboard?

Could be a better improvemente change the SSD 840 with an 850 EVO or OCZ ARC 100 250gb?

I'll post some photos soon! :)

edh

Post by edh » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:05 am

The Scythe Ninja 4 should fit just fine and is about the biggest you can fit.

SuperMan88

Post by SuperMan88 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:31 am

edh wrote:The Scythe Ninja 4 should fit just fine and is about the biggest you can fit.
Thanks edh, maybe too big and hard for cable management. I will thing about a good solution.
What about Noctua NH-L9x65 or CRYORIG H7?

edh

Post by edh » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:21 am

SuperMan88 wrote:[Thanks edh, maybe too big and hard for cable management.
No, it does fit. Just. :twisted:

I had to file a bit of metal off the mounting bracket to shift it slightly further forwards from the rear fan but you absolutely won't get anything higher performing in it. The Noctua is a top down cooler and I wouldn't really recommend that so much in this particular case. It won't allow you to achieve 'laminar flow' through the case.