Looking for a good silent case

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

retsnom093spcr

Looking for a good silent case

Post by retsnom093spcr » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:12 am

Hi everyone,

Currently i am looking for a silent case for my new build. After checking through many reviews, here are my top 2 choices:
1) Fractal Design Define R5
2) Sharkoon BW9000

The Sharkoon BW9000 is not marketed as silent case, but according to these review https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6839/1 ... sproductie, its perform very well in noise test when compared to well known brands such as phanteks Eclipse P400s, Be quiet! Silent Base 800, Fractal Design Define R4. While it's not as good as Define R5, but its cheaper by 50%.

Anyone familiar with the website? do you think the review is reliable?

CA_Steve

Re: Looking for a good silent case

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Whether or not the cheaper case is "good enough" is determined by the components going inside. So, what's the build?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:58 am

retsnom093spcr wrote:Anyone familiar with the website? do you think the review is reliable?

I know them about their PSU and GPU reviews since some years, and all in all I must admit that I don't trust them that much.

Said that, two thoughts:
  1. with the right fans (slow ones) any case may be quiet, but just a few remain effective, I mean with reference to cooling prowess;
  2. if money is one of your main concerns, take into account that, albeit not the finest ones, the Fractal GP-14s are proven and decent fans, while with Sharkoon stock ones your mileage may vary.

I mean, the R5 may be either a bit boring or a tad more expensive option, but it's also a proven solution: on the other hand, if you like tinkering with parts and don't mind about spending some more money in case to do that, the Sharkoon doesn't look that bad.

retsnom093spcr

Post by retsnom093spcr » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks for the responses. Here's my tentative specs;

1) Processor ------Core i5 6600
2) Cooler ---------CRYORIG M9I
3) Motherboard ----Asus B150 Pro Gaming
4) RAM ------------GSKILL AEGIS Series 8GB DDR4 x 2
5) Graphics Card---ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-8G
6) Power Supply ---Super Flower Silver 550W
7) Chassis --------Fractal Design Define R5 Pearl
8) SSD-------------Samsung 750 EVO 250GB

i have been tweaking the specs for while, to use it for Photoshop Illustrator, occasional video editing and gaming (Tomb Rider, The Witcher 3).

1) Processor - currently the price/performance sweet-spot is Core i5 6500, but i'm thinking the 3.9 boost clock from i5 6600 should come in handy when converting video files. I gave some thought on i5 6600k also, but overclocking will risk the noise & heat levels (good GPU has more effect on framerate anyway), and also requires more expensive z170, faster RAM, and maybe an additional cooler in my case.

2) CRYORIG M9I - based on techpowerup and couple others, it is cheaper than coolermaster hyperX 212 and also quiet enough. Any better suggestion?

3) ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-8G - i read reveiws on newegg and many praised it for silent, plus hardly any buyers complained on coil whine on this model. But i also considering PALIT GeForce GTX 1070 Dual, for now it is the cheapest 1070 model available here in Malaysia. Sadly i didn't find professional reveiw on it (most reviews focused on flagship model only). The only review i found is this http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threa ... ew.134893/ . The reviewer however changed the cooler on the Palit model when doing the review and didn't compared it with the default dual fans noise. If i get cheap 1070 then i could use the saved money to buy more ssd ( i don't plan to use internal HDD anymore, and i already have couple portable HDDs laying around - they're quiet!)

4) Super Flower Silver 550W - this one readily available in local market, cheap and youtube reviews praised it for the silent.

5) Fractal Design Define R5 Pearl (non windowed) - anyone here have both window and non-window version? how much difference in term of noise?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:43 am

retsnom093spcr wrote:2) CRYORIG M9I - based on techpowerup and couple others, it is cheaper than coolermaster hyperX 212 and also quiet enough. Any better suggestion?
Any SPCR tested cooler.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:48 am

I'll be a little less harsh than Luca :)

The i5-6600 is still in the 65W TDP bucket, so it's really not that hard to cool for your applications. The Cryorg's minimum fan speed is ~600rpm...a tad higher than I like, but it may do the job you want. It's certainly priced right.

This is obviously a budget build with most of the money going toward the gfx card. So, I'm not going to harp on upgrade components unless there's a dire problem.

Case: You don't have a massive heat load, so the Sharkoon could be in the ballpark of the R5...you'd want to remove the middle drive cage..I hope it's removable. You'll want to drive the case fans down in the 5-7V range. As for the R5, there's little difference between the windowed and non-windowed version for noise. If you don't have an ODD, there's also the Fractal Define S for less $'s and better airflow.

PSU: don't have a feel for the Superflower Silver...what other PSUs do you have access to in Malaysia?

Gfx card: Might be useful to wander through this collection of reviews.

retsnom093spcr

Post by retsnom093spcr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Case; i already checked on Define s - its don't have 4 USB ports, a dust filter that only accessible from behind the case, and no much different in price here compared to the more versatile R5.

PSU; alternatively i could go with seasonic s12ii-620, cheaper, but non-modular. I dont have direct noise level comparison with the leadek's super flower silver 550 model. Evga 550 G2 also available but it is a rebrand of leadek psu with slightly higher price.

GPU; thanks for link.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 pm

retsnom093spcr wrote:PSU; alternatively i could go with seasonic s12ii-620

I'd avoid it at any cost: it's really obsolete and with a conservative cooling (=noisy on load and/or higher temps).

retsnom093spcr wrote:Evga 550 G2 also available but it is a rebrand of leadek psu with slightly higher price.

JFYI, the EVGA has better parts (mainly caps) and longer warranty than the Leadex Gold sibling (not the cheaper and less efficient Leadex Silver you're talking about, so).

retsnom093spcr

Post by retsnom093spcr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 am

The newer seasonic m12ii 620 evo (bronze) has same price as the leadek 550 (gold), which one is better?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 am

retsnom093spcr wrote:The newer seasonic m12ii 620 evo (bronze) has same price as the leadek 550 (gold), which one is better?
Please monster, how many times have I to restate about the same information? Avoid it, whichever the flavour: if you don't trust me, then do some homework and check some serious reviews (not all reviews are serious). :wink:

retsnom093spcr

Post by retsnom093spcr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:44 pm

I checked again the price of evga 550 g2, it was actually considerable more expensive than the leadek sf 550 gold. That's why i also took a look at the newer seasonic model.

The discussion on johnyguru & tomshardware forums didnt resolved the issue why evga 550 g2 model has better capacitors. I thought leadek mass produced the psu and just rebrand it? Maybe the capacitor used based on locality of factory or availability of parts?

When i asked about these difference, my local computer store guy insist that parts inside both psus are the same.