First timer: Define R5 + NH-D15? silent enough or not?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: First timer: Define R5 + NH-D15? silent enough or not?

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:05 am

jo1 wrote:Yeah I read about Kotetsu being real good but I also read that Kotetsu makes some weird ball bearing noise? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68940&p=598772

It's not a ball bearing noise, because the Glide Stream is not a ball bearing fan.

I can't help about ticking: PWM fans and sleeve bearing fan may tick (albeit for different reasons). The Glide Stream is a PWM, sleeve bearing fan, so YMMV, but several FDB fans suffers of that also (there are lots of threads here about those things).

Some people can't stand, but it mostly depends of placement: inside a well padded case, under a desk, at more than 3ft/1mt from you, you cannot hear a slow spinning, good fan ticking. Or you should not.
On the other hand, upon an open air bench table, some inches from your nose, you may hear it much more probably, but even then it's a matter of personal feeling: someone can live happily with it, some other else do not. Just for instance (another anedocte), the fan on my bench these days are the very expensive Noctua iPPC 3k PWM: it's a very flexible fan, it can run from 250rpm up to almost 3000rpm, but it clicks/ticks at every speed and it's one of the most noticeable ticking I've ever heard. Nonetheless when I plokt side by side with it I usually don't notice that.

jo1 wrote:Yea I thought about ordering a NoFan and running the computer without a case too? Then I would save money on the case lol.........would it make sense? If there is no noise to be made from fans...no running fans in PSU..
Anything can make sense: with an IGP system you can range from a shoebox to a full tower, it's up to your call, but usually the far from your ears, the more the peace of mind. At worst, I'd choose on my aesthetical tastes basis.

jo1 wrote:No Kotetsu available, but Ninja4 and RevB are both 50 and NH-U14S is 70
IMVHO it would be better if you don't let we grope around in dark: state your location, even better, your favourite online price comparators/e-shops.

jo1 wrote:Yea :P There were some complications about H170 boards + Linux :(

Where?

jo1 wrote:How is the Asrock H-110 fan control like?

H110 is used within (usually) too cheap boards, personally I'd avoid.

jo1

Post by jo1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Abula wrote:
jo1 wrote:Ahhh now I understand what those pictures mean!!! Thank you! Where can I find information about what % PWM speeds motherboards can reach?
Asus using fanXpert dont have a limit, meaning it can reach 0% pwm, the pictures that you see is the fans being ran on FanXpert2 on a Asus mothebroard (some are Asus GENE VI and other son Asus H170 Pro gaming, but its the same). Now on pure bios.... on asus is hard to say, as it has very high restrictions until you run QFan tunning (a similar wanna be FanXpert but on bios), if the fan is read correctly in the testing, it can reach as low as the bios tested, here is where its tricky, for example the Scythe Ninja 4 fan the lowest i was able to reach with bios was around 700rpms, but with fanXpert2 i was able to reach 400rpms, so in this particular case the bios didn't allow to reach as low as FanXpert can, that said not all fans behave the same, thus the results do vary from bios to fanxpert, also remember bios are change and sometime upgraded, so i cant tell you fully how it will behave, for this reason i no longer use Asus on as my main mobos, i prefer AsRock but you need to understand how it work, for the average user Asus is a better choice.

Now either of those cooler will handle an i3 very easily even under heavy load, probably even fanless or running the fans at 300rpms, really, an i3 wont heat much, the trick for a very quiet setup is you be able to drop the fans very low, i recommend you if you use Asus to go with FanXpert, i personally never had an issue with it, and i have done multiple builds on them, and their fan control is second to none, bios on the other hand, it might work great, or like my personal experiences not so good with all fans.

Now if you going to run linux, i would probably go with AsRock, as their bios fan control is very good, as long as you understand that in most of their mobos, they only have 2 true PWM/Voltage control headers, usually CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1, the rest in most cases are only PWM, meaning CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3 are PWM only, if you plug a 3pin fan on them will run at full rpms or 12v. For a Fractal Design Define R5, i would probably change all fans to Noctua NF-P14S 1200 PWM and control them all with PWM Fan Splitter connected to CHA_FAN1, and use the CPU_FAN to control the cooler, and it would end up really quiet, as long as you enter the bios and setup the fan curves, that in AsRock have no restrictions, contrary to Asus.
Checking AsRock main webapge for the mobo, it seems to have 2 fan headers, CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1, and seems to be both autodetect, so they can use 3pin or PWM, as i said before, i recommend using PWM fans as you can use a PWM splitter and grab 12V from the PSU and use the mobo PWM singal to regulate the fans, so in a mothebroard like this, using the R5 (there are mini itx and micro atx versions, but seems very similar overall), i would use CHA_FAN1 to Splitter or Swiftech to all 3x Noctua NF-P14R Redux 1200PWM.
Thank you a lot!! I remember reading your forum post describing the Asrock BIOS fan control and your explanation now makes a lot of sense! Thank you:)

jo1

Post by jo1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:37 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
jo1 wrote:Yeah I read about Kotetsu being real good but I also read that Kotetsu makes some weird ball bearing noise? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68940&p=598772

It's not a ball bearing noise, because the Glide Stream is not a ball bearing fan.

I can't help about ticking: PWM fans and sleeve bearing fan may tick (albeit for different reasons). The Glide Stream is a PWM, sleeve bearing fan, so YMMV, but several FDB fans suffers of that also (there are lots of threads here about those things).

Some people can't stand, but it mostly depends of placement: inside a well padded case, under a desk, at more than 3ft/1mt from you, you cannot hear a slow spinning, good fan ticking. Or you should not.
On the other hand, upon an open air bench table, some inches from your nose, you may hear it much more probably, but even then it's a matter of personal feeling: someone can live happily with it, some other else do not. Just for instance (another anedocte), the fan on my bench these days are the very expensive Noctua iPPC 3k PWM: it's a very flexible fan, it can run from 250rpm up to almost 3000rpm, but it clicks/ticks at every speed and it's one of the most noticeable ticking I've ever heard. Nonetheless when I plokt side by side with it I usually don't notice that.

jo1 wrote:Yea I thought about ordering a NoFan and running the computer without a case too? Then I would save money on the case lol.........would it make sense? If there is no noise to be made from fans...no running fans in PSU..
Anything can make sense: with an IGP system you can range from a shoebox to a full tower, it's up to your call, but usually the far from your ears, the more the peace of mind. At worst, I'd choose on my aesthetical tastes basis.

jo1 wrote:No Kotetsu available, but Ninja4 and RevB are both 50 and NH-U14S is 70
IMVHO it would be better if you don't let we grope around in dark: state your location, even better, your favourite online price comparators/e-shops.

jo1 wrote:Yea :P There were some complications about H170 boards + Linux :(

Where?

H110 is used within (usually) too cheap boards, personally I'd avoid.
oooooh seems like I confused H170 and Z170 sorry:P I could only find this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1534985

What do you mean by 'At worst, I'd choose on my aesthetical tastes basis.'?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:32 pm

jo1 wrote:What do you mean by 'At worst, I'd choose on my aesthetical tastes basis.'?

If your don't have any functional requirement to pick a case over all the others, then pick the one you like more.

Get some inspiration (if any): viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68832

jo1

Post by jo1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:15 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
jo1 wrote:What do you mean by 'At worst, I'd choose on my aesthetical tastes basis.'?

If your don't have any functional requirement to pick a case over all the others, then pick the one you like more.

Get some inspiration (if any): viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68832

Aaahh! I thought you meant like 'worst thing to do is pick a case because you like its appearance' lol...

That build looks cute :D

If I was to cheap out: would I save money by buying a 50 dollar mobo and a passive CPU cooler (Macho Zero, no fans)

damn now that you got me thinking about the money it's all I think about lol!

jo1

Post by jo1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 am

Is there a way to use computer without a passive cooling aluminium case (Akasa/Streacom)...and without any case fans?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:46 am

We're heading toward a bit of repetitiveness...

The i3 is just a 47W CPU and your apps are lightweight, so no rocket science needed here. You can use a hunk of metal sitting on top of it to cool it or you can use a case with heatpipes (like the Akasa) to cool it. If you put in in a case like the R5 and stick a big hunk of metal on top (like the NH-U14S, etc) to cool it, chance are (given your apps) you won't need case fans or CPU fan to cool it. Yeah, the case will warm up a bit without any active fans, but it won't be much. If you don't like the cpu temps, you can fiddle with extremely low speeds on the CPU cooler. If you don't like the case temp, you can do what Abula suggested and get another Noctua PWM fan. Mount it as an exhaust and run it down in the 300rpm range. You will not hear these fans at 300rpm.

jo1

Post by jo1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am

CA_Steve wrote:We're heading toward a bit of repetitiveness...

The i3 is just a 47W CPU and your apps are lightweight, so no rocket science needed here. You can use a hunk of metal sitting on top of it to cool it or you can use a case with heatpipes (like the Akasa) to cool it. If you put in in a case like the R5 and stick a big hunk of metal on top (like the NH-U14S, etc) to cool it, chance are (given your apps) you won't need case fans or CPU fan to cool it. Yeah, the case will warm up a bit without any active fans, but it won't be much. If you don't like the cpu temps, you can fiddle with extremely low speeds on the CPU cooler. If you don't like the case temp, you can do what Abula suggested and get another Noctua PWM fan. Mount it as an exhaust and run it down in the 300rpm range. You will not hear these fans at 300rpm.
Yea sorry about the repetition, it's just that my mind got stuck lol :oops:

Ok I'll start the experiment soon!!! thanks y'all

jo1

Post by jo1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Completed the build..just wanted to log in in here and thank yall for your help!!! Fractal Define R5 original fans were not that quiet..they make this clicking/ticking sound. Well whatever, Noctua rules!

Thanks SPCR! :P

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Enjoy your build.