Build it Quiet?: Ryzen1800X + X370 mb + 1080Tix2 (Rendering)

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Firebrand

Build it Quiet?: Ryzen1800X + X370 mb + 1080Tix2 (Rendering)

Post by Firebrand » Sat May 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi,

I've never built a computer before. :shock: I'd like to build as Quiet of a system as possible for 3D Rendering, music recording & graphic/movies editing home work station, and am curious about your opinion for most silent components. The main components I'd like to feature are these -- but I need help making this system as quiet as possible:

1.) OS: Windows 10 Pro [this is fixed];
2.) Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x [this is fixed];
3.) Motherboard: An X370 motherboard (future-proofed/fully-loaded sli, m2, usb3.1, etc);
4.) GPU: 1080Ti x2 in SLI [can you recommend brand for low-noise??];
5.) RAM: 64 GB - reliable, clocked native to motherboard;
6.) Boot drive: SSD (1TB) - very-reliable;
7.) Scratch drives: SSD (1TB)x2 - inexpensive;
8.) Work Files drives: SSD (1TB)x2 - mid-level, but eventually I'll have x4;
9.) Back-up file system: External USB 3.1 NAS system (4x8TB HDD 0+1);
10.) Optical drives: External blu-ray DVD burner [already owned];
11.) Connectivity: Fastest wi-fi, and able to mirror to television;
12.) Professional sound-card: Shouldn't be noisy [electrically];
13.) Cooling fans: Silent-fans based (I have no water-cooling experience);
14.) CPU Cooler: I have no experience with this (advice strongly requested);
15.) Power: Should be able to handle GPUx2 in SLI + upgrades in 3 years;
16.) Case: Quiet-as-possible (and no wider than 11", but height can be 21", depth not an issue should fit motherboard), I prefer to have USB3, Audio, and other bells-and-whistle controls, if possible, but not required, as silence & fitting components is the key factor. I don't care about LED lighting, but fan control would be nice, if possible & temperature monitoring -- but these can be external if you know of any. Dust filters should be very helpful.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know:

1.) OS: Windows 10 Pro [this is fixed];
2.) Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x [this is fixed];
3.) Motherboard:
4.) GPU: 1080Ti x2 in SLI - quietest model:
5.) RAM- 64 GB reliable:
6.) Boot drive- SSD (1TB) - very-reliable:
7.) Scratch drives - SSD (1TB)x2 - inexpensive:
8.) Work Files drives - SSD (1TB)x2-4 mid-level:
9.) Back-up file system - 4-bay eternal NAS:
10.) Optical drives: External blu-ray DVD burner [already owned];
11.) Connectivity- Fastest wi-fi, and able to mirror to television:
12.) Professional sound-card - Shouldn't be noisy [electrically]:
13.) Cooling fans - Silent-fans (and sizes please):
14.) CPU Cooler- (advice strongly requested):
15.) Power - handle GPUx2 in SLI + upgrades:
16.) Case - Quiet-as-possible & fit components:
17.) Anything missed.......
18.)
19.)
20.)

:arrow: Again, this would be my first build & the system will be quite pricey -- so I'd prefer not to use liquid cooling, in case of leakage due to my mishandling; but otherwise silence & performance are key points.

Thanks for any ideas! :idea:

quest_for_silence

Re: Build it Quiet?: Ryzen1800X + X370 mb + 1080Tix2 (Render

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun May 07, 2017 7:48 am

Firebrand wrote:I'd prefer not to use liquid cooling, in case of leakage due to my mishandling; but otherwise silence & performance are key points.

Under load, you cannot have a quiet SLI of Ti without liquid cooling, that's my opinion.

If you don't want tubing inside the case, you may resort to an external water station (like an expensive aquacomputer one or something custom made using Watercool MORA or Alphacool Cape Cora) dedicated to the two GPUs.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 am

16.) Case: Quiet-as-possible (and no wider than 11", but height can be 21", depth not an issue should fit motherboard)
Welcome to SPCR.

Is the size constraint for aesthetic reasons or are there physical constraints (next to a desk, placed inside an enclosed space, etc)? These details are important to know as physical constraints may impact thermal/noise performance.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand » Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Under load, you cannot have a quiet SLI of Ti without liquid cooling, that's my opinion. If you don't want tubing inside the case, you may resort to an external water station (like an expensive aquacomputer one or something custom made using Watercool MORA or Alphacool Cape Cora) dedicated to the two GPUs.
Thanks for the position on the subject -- but do you think its possible to have a quiet system when its NOT under load? The actual "high load" time here is quite different from, say, a gaming machine (where the player is in front of the computer while gaming). For 3D rendering, we can walk away. However, while setting up, and under minimum and moderate load and activities that need a load equivalent to 10 years ago power, then I'd like to have as quiet as possible system.

Thus the need for temperature read-out and fan control, if at all possible. Ideas?

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand » Sun May 07, 2017 2:53 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Is the size constraint for aesthetic reasons or are there physical constraints (next to a desk, placed inside an enclosed space, etc)? These details are important to know as physical constraints may impact thermal/noise performance.

Thank you for the question.

The size constraint is due to the desk space (22 inch tall x 11 inch wide opening, depth is probably 30 inch or so). However, this size constraint is not priority and the computer can be set to the side of the desk, with long enough cables, or behind it. Please feel free to imagine other size case solutions if you believe the dimensions too tight.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun May 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Firebrand wrote:The size constraint is due to the desk space (22 inch tall x 11 inch wide opening, depth is probably 30 inch or so). However, this size constraint is not priority and the computer can be set to the side of the desk, with long enough cables, or behind it. Please feel free to imagine other size case solutions if you believe the dimensions too tight.
A system with two GTX 1080 Ti's and a Ryzen 7 1800X under stress load will use 650W...with a heavy enough render, maybe 550-600W. With a 90% efficient PSU, that's 600-660W of heat. Quiet operation and desk cubby may not be compatible...depends on the case..

Any gfx card we'd recommend will have semi-passive fan design - where the cards' fans will be off for light loads. So, it's likely you can have a very quiet to silent PC for non-rendering (and equivalent) tasks.

More on this tomorrow - in the meantime, you might want to ponder the GTX 1080 Ti thread.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!!
Firebrand wrote:3.) Motherboard: An X370 motherboard (future-proofed/fully-loaded sli, m2, usb3.1, etc)
ASRock X370 Taichi, it has gotten great user and site reviews, if you wish to read more check TechPowerUp ASRock X370 Taichi
Firebrand wrote:4.) GPU: 1080Ti x2 in SLI [can you recommend brand for low-noise??]
You will have issues here, most of the GTX1080Ti are 2.5 slot, its going to be really tight to throw a SLI with decent air, and even then the top GPU will get very hot and thus noisy. I would recommend if you are serious about doing the SLI of GTX1080Ti to go with Founder Editions and watercool them. If you dont want to go with water, then EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3 is one of the few 2 slot cards, so that would be my suggestion, but certainly not the quietest. If you were to reconsider only going with one, then it seem Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080Ti is a good bet, i would go for the none extreme edition, i seen to many user having issues being stable on the extreme edition and very few with the none extreme.
Firebrand wrote:5.) RAM: 64 GB - reliable, clocked native to motherboard
Decide on the motherboard first, and the go by the memory QVL list to select memory that has been tested to run on the motherboard.
Firebrand wrote:6.) Boot drive: SSD (1TB) - very-reliable
If you want Sata i would go with Samsung 850Pro, probably the best, i own one and no issues for couple of years now. If you want m.2 PCIe i would go go with Samsung 960Pro.
Firebrand wrote:7.) Scratch drives: SSD (1TB)x2 - inexpensive
I would suggest the Samsung 850Evo for sata and 960Evo for m.2.
Firebrand wrote:8.) Work Files drives: SSD (1TB)x2 - mid-level, but eventually I'll have x4;
Well if you going to write a lot, then go enterprise.
Firebrand wrote:9.) Back-up file system: External USB 3.1 NAS system (4x8TB HDD 0+1)
Synology DS416
Firebrand wrote:11.) Connectivity: Fastest wi-fi, and able to mirror to television
No suggestion here, i always recommend to connect via wire, transfer rates suffer on a wireless lan.
Firebrand wrote:Professional sound-card: Shouldn't be noisy
Not sure what are your needs on this.
Firebrand wrote:Cooling fans: Silent-fans based (I have no water-cooling experience)
Noctua, Scythe, Thermalright, Noiseblocker, Nexus, are some good brands to look for, which fans would depend on the case, and your cooling requirements.
Firebrand wrote:CPU Cooler- (advice strongly requested)
I havent seen many that come with AM4 mounting, i seens some from noctua like Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Premium-Grade 140mm Dual Tower CPU Cooler for AMD AM4, but i fyou are serious about doing the GTX1080ti SLI, i would suggest to also watercool the CPU.
Firebrand wrote:Power - handle GPUx2 in SLI + upgrades
Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850 SSR-850TD
Firebrand wrote:Case - Quiet-as-possible & fit components
If you were to consider watercooling, i would go with CaseLabs. If you are going Air, it wont be quiet, mainly the GTX1080Ti SLI, i wouldnt recommend doing it unless you dont care about the noise, here water should be a lot quiter than air.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand » Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 am

Awesome response, thanks. Wonder if I am missing anything.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 am

Upside to liquid cooling: potentially much quieter at load for SLI than air. Downside: louder than air cooling for low load tasks. Definately want to go with a variable speed pump.

Ryzen has only been out for two months - so probably a diamond in the rough for some of your apps...it'll be worth the time to peruse you applications' user forums for Ryzen specific threads to make sure there aren't any "doesn't work well with this" issues. One key item to look for is DPC latency tests for your selected motherboard (as high latency = pops in audio).

Why multiple work and scratch drives rather than 1 each?

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand » Sun May 21, 2017 4:38 pm

"DPC latency tests for your selected motherboard (as high latency = pops in audio)."

Excellent note! Thanks for that, never considered it. My current system has this issue and I never understood why. Might be the motherboard, not my mics.

"Why multiple work/scratch drives?"

1.) One is more of an ACTIVE drive for files I'm working on -- basically a "work in progress" drive. If anything fails, its separate from my organized files systems. But any end-of-day version, I put on that other drive, while leaving the works-in-progress here.

2.) One drive is the real SCRATCH, nothing else on it, but big enough for the largest Photoshop files.

3.) One drive is just for UNORGANIZED long term storage of files I like to have around & want quick access too as inspiration.

4.) One is for ORGANIZED file systems, such as in Lightroom or 3D software, for example.

Its not necessarily the most logical, just a way to organize myself.