specs for silent pc for audio recording.

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fdly

specs for silent pc for audio recording.

Post by fdly » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello brothers and sister,

I would like to ask your expertise. I am setting a recording cpu, which intentionally for audio recording (Guitar, bass , and microphone - vocals). I am setting as i red the specs for silent pc for audio recording. I am running software for DAW , plug ins VSt , programming synth, drums and others on it. I dont play games (maybe just a chess game anyway ;)

How are these specs would give me better results, low noise, no unwanted noise/interupt, and so on. These items are available at near me.

CPU: RYZEN 5 1600X 3.6Ghz / 4.0Ghz (6C/12T 19MB)
COOLER: EVGA CLC 120 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler, RGB LED Cooling - SRP
MOBO: ASUS PRIME B350M-A rm445
RAM: CORSAIR LPX 2666Mhz D4 8GBx2 859
SDD: SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO
Casing: FRACTAL DEGISN DEFINE R5 WINDOWS 489
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+

Look your advise.

thank a lot.

CA_Steve

Re: specs for silent pc for audio recording.

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

A couple of questions to help the process:

- I'm assuming you are using an external Audio In/Out device for the mics and headphones/etc?
- How many tracks/Virtual instruments are you running? If it's a handful, then this CPU is much more powerful than you need. (What are you using now and how is it limiting you, for comparison?)
- Have you considered a fanless case? It solves the potential fan noise issues. The HDPLEX H5 supports 95W AM4 CPUs. What's your ambient temp environment?
- What's your country? (first guess is Malaysia -> pricing next to the mobo)

- CPU: ok. Depending on the number of tracks/VI's, this could easily drop down to one of the 65W CPUs.
- CPU cooler: Liquid cooler can be useful for overclocked and overvolted CPUs. Air coolers are much better for your use (no pump noise, more flexible for fan noise). What brands do you have access to? Scythe, Thermalright, Phantek, Noctua?
- mobo: fine for digital audio in/out. If you plan to use mobo for headphones/audio out, etc, then might consider upgrading to mobo with better analog codec/solution. I also like the Intel LAN solution over Realtek (just personal preference). Prime X370-PRO and the ROG STRIX boards have both better analog and Intel NIC.
- RAM: when you settle on the mobo, check ASUS' QVL page for RAM compatibility. The Corsair LPX shows up in some of the listings, so you'll probably be fine. Have you benchmarked how much RAM you need for your VI's/etc?
- SSD: good choice.
- Case: good choice but pretty big for the little bit of stuff going inside. Do you need an internal optical drive?
- PSU: Your stressed power use will be under 130W. So, this PSU's fan will be off - unless you are in a high ambient temp environment.

fdly

Post by fdly » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it much.

- I'm assuming you are using an external Audio In/Out device for the mics and headphones/etc?
> The set up is planned > from instruments to amplifier and to audio interface Akai Professional EIE Pro 24-bit . Plan for 24bit recording. The i/o will be the same device (EIE).

- How many tracks/Virtual instruments are you running? If it's a handful, then this CPU is much more powerful than you need. (What are you using now and how is it limiting you, for comparison?)
> plan for ezdrum2 run with sonar.other vst maybe strings & piano vst i haven't confirmed. There will be not many tracks will run at same time, i think maximum to only 6-8 tracks. I previously use intel i3 on sony vaio and it produced fan noise. What is your recommendation for lower specs cpu, ryzen?

- Have you considered a fanless case? It solves the potential fan noise issues. The HDPLEX H5 supports 95W AM4 CPUs. What's your ambient temp environment?
> i would like to see options for fanless case. Yes i am in Malaysia, and here the electric from wall is 230v. I googled HDPLEX H5 and i think i will need to look for its availability here. is there any fanless case would you recommend. i looked through found these brands comes with few models CM, corsair Fractal, Lian li (330/550), techware , thermaltake.

- What's your country? (first guess is Malaysia -> pricing next to the mobo)
> malaysia. yes. i guess it is not much use for i/o, as i will use audio interface?

- CPU: ok. Depending on the number of tracks/VI's, this could easily drop down to one of the 65W CPUs.
> maximum 6 - 8 tracks, but will run with few vsts on sonar. - as for now.

- CPU cooler: Liquid cooler can be useful for overclocked and overvolted CPUs. Air coolers are much better for your use (no pump noise, more flexible for fan noise). What brands do you have access to? Scythe, Thermalright, Phantek, Noctua?
> here are some brands available, one comes with few models: Aigo, thermal take, be quiet, noctua, corsair, cm
here in malaysia temperature 32c in day and 21c in night. average.

- mobo: fine for digital audio in/out. If you plan to use mobo for headphones/audio out, etc, then might consider upgrading to mobo with better analog codec/solution. I also like the Intel LAN solution over Realtek (just personal preference). Prime X370-PRO and the ROG STRIX boards have both better analog and Intel NIC.
> i will use audio interface Akai EIE pro 24bit. how about better analog results with mobo i/o, it could be runinng with latency.

- RAM: when you settle on the mobo, check ASUS' QVL page for RAM compatibility. The Corsair LPX shows up in some of the listings, so you'll probably be fine. Have you benchmarked how much RAM you need for your VI's/etc?
> i think will use only 8g ram over that, but, i try to save as more as long it doesn't reflect result.

- SSD: good choice.
> 500g in one ssd or 240g x 2 ssd is better?

- Case: good choice but pretty big for the little bit of stuff going inside. Do you need an internal optical drive?
> i would look for more options. fanless and im not much lights fans, guess do not need much opticals.

- PSU: Your stressed power use will be under 130W. So, this PSU's fan will be off - unless you are in a high ambient temp environment.
Thank you steve. I think will consider to lower the specs. look for your recommendation. i think i am not in high usage most of the time.

thank you regards

fdly

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Ok, 8 tracks or so doesn't need that much CPU (as you found by using an i3). You could easily step down to a 65W chip, like the 6 core Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel i5 8400.

As you have the Akai I/O, mobo will only see digital audio, so don't worry about the analog path on the mobo.

case: it'd be great if you could get the HDPLEX - it's a good fit for you. There's also Streacom - they don't have an updated mobo compatibility list but have a lot of physical drawings..so harder to deal with.

If you decide to go the conventional route, the Fractal Design Define Mini C would be a good choice for your mATX board.

cooler: from your list, Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 and be quiet! Dark Rock 3 are two good choices.

SSD: go with one 500GB. What are you doing for data storage/backup? Internal or External HDD?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 am

Oh - don't forget with Ryzen CPU there isn't integrated graphics. So, you'd need a low end video card as well. Or, AMD is releasing the version with integrated graphics next week...I'd wait a month or two to make sure there aren't any bugs to be worked out.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:26 pm

RAM, SSD and case are good choices.

Keep in mind that a high-end CPU with a basic cooler will generally yield more performance (at a similar cost) than a mid-range CPU with a premium liquid cooler.

Your CPU does not include integrated graphics, which is why I recommend going with Intel (or maybe one of Ryzen's G-series CPU's).

650 watt power supply is overkill. Most builds use well under 500w, but a recording studio build is not likely to use more than 200.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am

The point about Platinum spec power supplies is that they are more efficient at lower power draws than Gold and not much off Titanium, so the issue of capacity is not the point here. The OP has simply picked the lowest output hybrid Platinum supply available where they are. Hybrid obviously to avoid fan noise. The EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W costs around £120 in the UK. The only ATX alternative I can see is the venerable Seasonic 400w Platinum fan less unit which is about £5 cheaper.