Looking for quiet 23" or larger LCD

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

macq

Looking for quiet 23" or larger LCD

Post by macq » Fri May 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Just upgraded to an NEC LCD2470WNX. Great performing monitor except it hums. So, I came here (as I often have) and learned about the built-in power inverters causing noise. This 24" NEC is silent between 95-100% brightness but that burns my retinas. Humming starts at 94% and is annoying at any setting below that. Not acceptable.

From the other threads people were mentioning smaller LCDs that were quiet. And, in fact, my previous 19" Samsung 940T was pretty quiet. But, perhaps the brighter and larger LCD panels with built in power inverters are noisier than smaller, dimmer, models (?).

In any event, looking for suggestions for 23-26" wide view LCDs that will be quiet at any brightness setting. I've heard the Apple Cinemas are quiet - I'm assuming because of their external power supplies. But I'm hoping for something black and with a better stand (would like tilt, rotate and height - pivot optional). Oh, TN panels need not apply - VA or IPS only :)

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Fri May 23, 2008 9:57 pm

i'm very interested in this also.

my brother has a dell 2007wfp- and it is only slightly but noticeably audible.
the only lcd i've never heard has been my old 17" benq, who incidentally sell a pretty highly rated 24"- perhaps someone owns one?

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat May 24, 2008 7:27 am

unfortunately you wont get a definitive answer on this from anyone. because every monitor has the possibility of exhibiting this hum. I have two that are silent, but ive found others on this forum that have the same ones i have and theirs hum.

my advice to you, find the one you like based on monitor performance, and return it if it hums for a new one. If you get one that hums 2 or 3 times in a row, return it for a different one. be honest with the retailer, tell them its broken cause it makes this horrible noise when you turn it on. Who are they to argue?

macq

Post by macq » Sat May 24, 2008 12:17 pm

You are probably right Aris. Still, the use of an external power supply should surely result in a quieter monitor. Anybody with one of those meeting above criteria?

The monitors I choose are not normally in stores and returning things multiple times before trying a different model just isn't viable. If nothing else, several people who've tested a model at various brightnesses would help narrow choices. I can always hope.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon May 26, 2008 8:34 am

macq wrote:You are probably right Aris. Still, the use of an external power supply should surely result in a quieter monitor.
Actually, it won't. The inverter converts the DC output from the power supply back to the A/C needed for the fluorescent backlight.

A external powersupply would just convert the AC from the wall to the DC needed for the rest of the computer. This can be a noisy piece due to coil whine, but not usually. Mostly the buzzing is from the inverter.

macq

Post by macq » Mon May 26, 2008 9:04 am

Well, now I'm confused. So, on a "normal" LCD, you are saying the A/C from the wall connects to a power supply in the monitor that outputs D/C for use by misc electronics and also feeds an inverter to convert the D/C back to A/C for the backlight?

Why not just pass the A/C through to the backlight - just stepping the voltage if need be?